New name for Easy Clouds?

Started by Matt, August 09, 2016, 08:28:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paq

MetaCloud        (all in one node)
ParaCloud        (an other way to create cloud)
PowerCloud     (reference to the Terragen power fractal)
PolyCloud         (multiple clouds in one node)

There must be thousands of applications named easy-'something', so EasyCloud sounds already very familiar, and that's a good think :)
Gameloft

inkydigit

MegaClouds!
:D
seriously though, 'easy cloud' sticks, a tough one, not always 'easy' on the processor as already mentioned... not always 'quick' either, but  what about 'TGClouds'?

:)

Oshyan

I don't understand how "Cloud Model" even makes sense. It's a term to refer to what the thing is, but it applies equally to the old and new, er, cloud models. If you see what I mean? ;)

I'm pretty sure "meta cloud" is a Vue/E-On term. PowerCloud is kind of the opposite of what it is, although that could be a good way to rename the old/normal/more complex clouds perhaps.

- Oshyan

DannyG

Quote from: Oshyan on August 11, 2016, 03:54:33 PM
I don't understand how "Cloud Model" even makes sense. It's a term to refer to what the thing is, but it applies equally to the old and new, er, cloud models. If you see what I mean? ;)

I'm pretty sure "meta cloud" is a Vue/E-On term. PowerCloud is kind of the opposite of what it is, although that could be a good way to rename the old/normal/more complex clouds perhaps.

- Oshyan

Ok good to hear, how about some ideas other than Simple Clouds? It's great to always hear what you disagree with, but some positive input will help the situation, don't ya think
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

KyL

what about "AutoClouds"?

In a sense, they are much more automated than the regular clouds. This goes in the same direction as Simple Clouds or Easy Clouds.
I lik InstaClouds as well

Hetzen

Quote from: Oshyan on August 11, 2016, 03:54:33 PM

Ok, stick two letters on the end. "Cloud Modeler"  :P

Seriously though, Matt is designing some different cloud types and at the moment you choose which model you want to apply. So Cloud Model Shader sort of made sense to me.

Hetzen

Sorry, I had another thought. The Cloud Layer v2/v3, could quite easily be renamed to Open Cloud Shader v2/v3. You have full access to it's functionality.

It really is semantics and I have no problem with Easy Cloud Shader.  :)

mhall

In keeping with one being a black box and offering great results and one exposing more controls and generally requiring more expertise ...

Simple Cloud Shader
Advanced Cloud Shader

Because if you have "Easy"  ... then anything else must be "Hard", and you don't want to put that in a name! (Even if it is the truth. :) )

The problem when comparing the two Shaders for naming purposes is that Matt mentioned there are things the Easy Clouds are currently tuned to do internally that you cannot (yet?) do with the normal Cloud Shaders even with their more exposed and more numerous controls. So, in that case, which one is more "Advanced"? The current Easy clouds give you a faster setup of detailed, realistic clouds at the expense of black boxing a number of the settings and controls to get there. On the other hand the legacy cloud shaders offer you much more fine grained control, but apparently are not able to produce the same results as easy clouds, no matter how much tweaking you do.

In that case, perhaps ...

Pleasant-and-fun-to-use Cloud Shader
I-want-to-pull-my-Matt's-hair-out Cloud Shader

Just a couple of ideas. :)

AP

Simple Cloud Shader and Advanced Cloud Shader.

I like those. Or just Simple Cloud and Advanced Cloud?

Dune

OneClickCloud... MultiClicksCloud  :P

GioMez

NowClouds
CloudReady
InstaClouds (or InstaSteam Clouds)
ReadySky Clouds

bobbystahr

I like Easy Clouds as even on my slow computer they show up fast enough and RTP helps that tons. I don't think there's a better name really.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

DannyG

I still like Hetzen's "Cloud Model" unlike the other cloud nodes that need tweaking to right, This is a drop in Cloud Model...
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

Mr_Lamppost

The way I see it is that the way Easy Clouds are implemented now id that they are a Cloud Layer v3 packaged together with a new kind of density function, Cloud Fractal Shader v4?

Should these not then be referred to as Integrated Clouds as opposed to Open Clouds which would be created in the way we are used to; a Cloud Layer v2 or v3 with a Cloud Fractal Shader v3 as density input or assuming that it can be separated a Cloud Fractal Shader v4.

The cloud creation menu would then contain three types of entry:

Global Open Clouds:- Cloud Fractal Shader v3 linked to Cloud Layer v2.
Localised Open Clouds:- Cloud Fractal Shader v3 linked to Cloud Layer v3.
Integrated Cloud Pre-sets:- Integrated Clouds (Current Easy Cloud).

Even if it is not possible or desirable to expose the new cloud fractal as a stand alone node the names Integrated and Open are at least descriptive of the way clouds will be added to the scene.
Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.

Grassynoel

You need an Idiom like "cloud nine" that says something about how awesome they are.
..but I couldn't find one. :)

Glenn