New name for Easy Clouds?

Started by Matt, August 09, 2016, 08:28:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Open Clouds gives a different impression, IMO, that they are kind of open clouds. Also, Matt will do some changes, perhaps add more variables, so that will change the nature of its 'internals' and 'presetness'. Why not just call them what they are; V3 cloud (versus V2), and then the name of a type. We have param C also, which has no recognizable name. Users get use to it, and once you click it open, the parameters say it all.

Oshyan

I don't think the term "open" would really mean anything to a new user. To people who are familiar with the fact that the previous cloud shaders were more "open", it may make sense, but I don't see it as a name that has inherent sense to the average person.

Auto Cloud is not bad, and Simple/Advanced is also not bad. I do note the point about "Easy" implying there is a "hard" in converse", and we want to avoid implying that...

Ulco, v3 cloud shading model is not the same as Easy Cloud. Easy Cloud uses the v3 shading model, but you can also have the same control as v2 clouds but with the v3 model (non-easy cloud).

Param C is intended to be renamed before release...

- Oshyan

Matt

Quote from: Oshyan on August 14, 2016, 02:43:23 AM
Param C is intended to be renamed before release...

That was the intention, but it probably won't be.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Matt

Quote from: Dune on August 14, 2016, 02:17:26 AM
and then the name of a type

I like the idea of naming the nodes by cloud types. However, I'm planning to add a mixing feature so you can blend between different types using masks and so on. We'll still need a name for the node that does this. Perhaps that could be "Mixed Cloud" or something like that. But even with the non-mixed clouds I think it's useful to be able to switch between cloud types on an existing node.

Matt

Thanks for all the ideas so far :) Please keep them coming. I'm still reading...

Mr_Lamppost

Quote from: Oshyan on August 14, 2016, 02:43:23 AM
I don't think the term "open" would really mean anything to a new user.

Good point, change Open to Component.
Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.

Dune

QuoteWe'll still need a name for the node that does this.
... Cloud Composer?

red_planet

Quote from: Grassynoel on August 13, 2016, 09:37:05 PM
You need an Idiom like "cloud nine" that says something about how awesome they are.
..but I couldn't find one. :)

Glenn

But you'd need to get Button 9 reinstated for that.... surely ?

ajcgi

Wonder Clouds
Clouds Lite
Sheep Gen
Barry White's Pillows

Feel free to use all. :)

Or Easy Clouds.

fuzzyEuclid

Some serious, some not so much, but useful sometimes anyway:

Cloudastic Clouds
Phenomenal Clouds
WOW! Clouds
Cool Clouds
That-New-Car-Smell Clouds
Olympus Clouds
Magic Clouds

...and I like the  Dune's "Cloud Composer" for the... cloud composer.

Kadri

Quote from: Matt on August 15, 2016, 03:26:58 PM
Quote from: Dune on August 14, 2016, 02:17:26 AM
and then the name of a type

I like the idea of naming the nodes by cloud types. However, I'm planning to add a mixing feature so you can blend between different types using masks and so on. We'll still need a name for the node that does this. Perhaps that could be "Mixed Cloud" or something like that. But even with the non-mixed clouds I think it's useful to be able to switch between cloud types on an existing node.

If the use of the Easy clouds nodes and the others will be the same in the end,
using just the same naming scheme (naming according to the cloud type) would be the best.
If not, then something along "Easy" or similar what is suggested above would be more relevant probably.

Oshyan

I think I'm liking "Auto Cloud" best so far, as the "Easy" clouds basically automate a lot of stuff under the hood to get a good look, and they don't allow you to do things manually as much. The alternative could be "Power Cloud" or "Manual Cloud" perhaps. The thing is I see these as being potentially separate from the cloud types. Wouldn't you want both an "auto cloud" version of Cumulus *and* a "power cloud" version?

- Oshyan

zaxxon

"Auto" as in Automatic? Having spent some hours on this node it seems far from automatic to me. Plus, that name diminishes the effort and creativity that goes into getting good results. Auto and Power have connotations that may be problematic, at least in my opinion. Perhaps just a 'generic' label that doesn't  try to explain what truly is a rather sophisticated set up, something non-descriptive like type A, type B, etc?

El Kabong

Poof * Clouds     

Seems a lot of ya know more about the magic that happens with Terragen than some of us can even barely fathom.

Later, Ron

Mid-Knight Acchan

Before the release, it says to change the parameter names of "Param B" and "Param C", but the name has not changed yet :S
What kind of work is this a parameter?
Is it different from Mie and Rayleigh scattering?
I started 3D landscape with "Bryce" and am currently editing Japanese Wiki as a Terragen user. I am riding the Kawasaki ZEPHYR1100. I am a reader.