My first project

Started by Artice-3d, August 11, 2016, 10:33:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

If those are made within TG it's an awesome technique. I guess you used your vector displacement for this, just noticing your other post. Great stuff, but please give us some insight in the rock formation part.

cyphyr

Great work :)
This technique is an order of magnitude over what I've seen created in terragen alone!
I guess this really narrows down the field for the Cliff challenge! (joke!)
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Tangled-Universe

I suppose you are using Houdini for the base shape and export those to VDM?

There's more to it though, since (according to Matt, because I asked him last year) VDM does not allow for closed loops/open holes and thus true arches are not possible.
Unless the base houdini mesh had an "arch" at its side or top and you rotated the whole thing in TG.

Artice-3d

I suppose you are using Houdini for the base shape and export those to VDM?
------------------------------
Yes and no  ;D  I used cinema4d and houdini, but vdm i exported from houdini!!
-----------------------------
I didn't rotate shape in terragen.. i used other technique  of "arch" at its side without any rotation
----------------------------
I wish terragen have an ability to create caves and holes with VDB stuff...  VDB+microdisplacement = awesomeness !!  ;D  ;)
A long time awaited vertical strata +rectangular noise = is too an awesomness  ;D ;D ;) 8)
----------------------------
Dune, i'll give you a little tips a bit later i promise!!!  :o ;) ::)

luvsmuzik

So this comes into Terragen as an image map displacement, or object? OUTSTANDING!
I get what you are doing, I just was making sure I get the method to connect to Terragen.

Artice-3d

luvsmuzik, thanks a lot  ;)   This is the vector displacement map droped into terragen and then enhanced further!!!

j meyer

So how are the arches done?
Two planets or a plane and a planet?
Please tell us.

Dune

You can do a lot with a bunch of cubes stacked in a certain rough shape, then apply the same displacement setup to all. Vdisp will then be a little trickier, however.

Artice-3d

Thanks Kadri!!  ;)   j meyer - Arches is a vector displacement  8) ;)

Artice-3d

Dune i can't use cubes in a rough shapes, because terragen doesn't love rough edges at all  :-\

Dune

I meant 'rough' as in roughly stacked. But the cubes can be made with softer edges, and they will 'catch' that displacement.

j meyer

I know about your VD experiments, but with VD alone it`s impossible
as Martin (Tangled-Universe) pointed out already.
Please explain.

Dune

Artice-3d

I meant 'rough' as in roughly stacked. But the cubes can be made with softer edges, and they will 'catch' that displacement.
I tried this stuff already with no success!! Edges need to be too soft for displacement  :-\  So it looses it cubes shape.. i thought to make rectangular as possible, bit for now terragen can't handle such stuff, you know that  :-\ ;)  I even tell you more, my base VD shape is complete from cubes  ;D ;) but it's a secret..  ;)
Arch-is a vector displacement, but with extra stretch from sides.. that's all  ;) 8)  nothing to hide.. ;D :o
But..... Terragen can handle textures not bad, so if developers will make a rectangular noise texture, like in vue it will be a game changer  ;) 8)