Road WIP .....FSS on a plane

Started by luvsmuzik, August 20, 2016, 10:05:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

luvsmuzik

WIP
FSS on a plane for the road.

Can you apply a bezier curve to a plane in TG, or must this be done out of program with an object? I see all these functions, but I did not finish trig.

fleetwood

You can push or warp that shape around in various ways.
Take a look at Dune's basic road setup :

http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,18887.msg183955.html#msg183955

luvsmuzik

Success YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY! I knew if I could crochet, I could do this....LOL. I think in weird comparisons.

This is a very low resolution render.....0.2, 2 The difficult part was the fake stones. EDIT And now .....a creek road...

I did get Dune's road to work! My initial circle SSS is diminished to 3000, so my road goes to the top of the hill. I have a few additions like another layer for veggies(?), I think that may prevent bleeding into the road?

Dune

If you make the road very soft, you have a lot of potential with some added color adjusts.

luvsmuzik

Quote from: Dune on August 21, 2016, 05:47:11 AM
If you make the road very soft, you have a lot of potential with some added color adjusts.

Thanks for this file share Dune.

In this image I put the FSSs on the road and verge and removed the reflective shader that I was emulating a creek with. :) This is still a very low resolution image, render time about 7 minutes.

May I ask if the number of noise octaves and seed determine the curviness of the deformation? If it is a trade secret, do not answer, lol.

Dune

Indeed, seed changes all, more color octaves mean more wildness of the lateral warp of the SSS. That's why I set the color roughness quite low. But that also depends on the size of the fractals; if you just use very large values, you can up the color roughness. It's nice to experiment with if you feed the output in a test surface layer, and see what happens.
If you don't stretch the X the stream gets uneven in width (which can be nice, but not always). Etcetera.....

luvsmuzik

Just when I thought I was having an AHA! moment, .......

The wall pictured (subsurf, displaced plane, array, bezier curve and mapped texture applied) below could be straight. I was thinking I could apply a similar curve to it as done in previous images. Now I am reading, a plane that is displaceable in TG is one sided, okay.

Can you apply all of these warps and vector displacements to a cube, say that is thin and looks like a rotated plane? (perpendicular to terrain)?

I understand that the road is actually considered a terrain simple shape object, whereas a simple cube displaceable object is not terrain. I also read about rotating the object mask. Would you still have to use a warp input with that? Could redirect do anything?

OH NO! moment.

Dune

These are questions that will be solved with some experiments  ;) But no, warp won't do it, but vector displacement or redirect will.

luvsmuzik

It all goes back to about here......

Some time ago I asked for help to try to do something. I made objects,(curved array cube displaced) no, not what I wanted.
I read, I experimented, I complained, I experimented, I complained, I read....
You see how it goes...

so...I jumped right in there too.

This link is an animation made in Blender. While cute and fun, it was by my novice efforts to apply many techniques in simple form.
https://youtu.be/S6rQKc2BhE8

You see, I have already won. I will continue to experiment with this. This is what I was trying to make. Thank you all, especially Dune and mhaze. masonspappy for the grass.

bobbystahr

Quote from: luvsmuzik on January 18, 2018, 10:28:04 AM
It all goes back to about here......

Some time ago I asked for help to try to do something. I made objects,(curved array cube displaced) no, not what I wanted.
I read, I experimented, I complained, I experimented, I complained, I read....
You see how it goes...

so...I jumped right in there too.

This link is an animation made in Blender. While cute and fun, it was by my novice efforts to apply many techniques in simple form.
https://youtu.be/S6rQKc2BhE8

You see, I have already won. I will continue to experiment with this. This is what I was trying to make. Thank you all, especially Dune and mhaze. masonspappy for the grass.

Well done ...I never could crochet heh heh heh, but I can do a bit of TG
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist