clip vertical..

Started by myriac, December 29, 2006, 05:19:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

myriac

hi folks,

i wonder how to clip vertically a power fractal ? cant we add the operators i.e <clip vertical> for it ?
:-\

thx

3DGuy

afaik you can't. The trick I used in this image

is making the heightfield generate very large, in this case 100000x100000 (i.e. 10 times as big as standard). This is large enough to hide the fact it's only a limited region.

rcallicotte

Excuse the ignorance, please.  But, how did you do it?
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

3DGuy

Here's roughly how I did this:
Start a new world.
In the heightfield shader select the displacement tab and change the height multiplier to 2.
In the hightfield generate modifier, there's an option saying height in meters. Change that to 100000 by 100000 and press generate now.

Then click the add operator button and choose clip vertical.

Zoom into the terrain a bit to see the details. Then you can play with the clip vertical settings to get the right look.

I also added a strata modifier to get the horizontal lines.

myriac

yes i know it is possible in HF , and good result you get with big size !

maybe i should use both procedural and rasterized fields to achive it with power fractals..

calyxa

if we were talking about MojoWorld, it'd be simple and obvious -- use a "Min" node.  the procedural terrain function plugs into the Min 1 value, and the clip height constant is specified as the Min 2 value.  whereever the procedural terrain height is less than the clip height, you get procedural terrain, and whereever the procedural terrain height is more than the clip height, you get perfectly (and I mean mind-numbingly boring flat) clipped plateaus.

I'm *sure* the same functionality must exist in T2 - it's simple mathematics.  however, I haven't yet gotten building terrains with functions very far along yet.  maybe the conditional scalar would work for this, but I haven't been able to make that do anything in my few guesses at how to use it.