Power Fractal only one side.

Started by 8609852k, August 24, 2016, 04:06:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hello,

I try to understand the depths of Terragen with different exercises. Today I tried the lateral displacement only on a cube . But I can not. Here is my .TGD file ...

Where does my problem?

I think for a color cube in front of my solution is the same ?

Perhaps this comes from the "get position" ? I do not really understand the difference between the "get position" and the "get position in texture" ...
I spend a lot of time on wiki to understand each node but it's really complicated ...

Thank you for your help!

cyphyr

try this
<edit> Ulco's solution is much better, mine distorts the side of the cube (although not displaces) and only works on direct axis.
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Dune

Your solution also works on the other side(s), Richard, I'm sorry to say. And it very much depends on the rotation of the cube whether it will work as wished; a small rotation and it will displace more sides.
If the cube is on its final place a simple shape (placed in location with same rotation) can be used to mask the side to be effected. Then any displacement or vector displacement can be used, masked by that simple shape.
I tried some things, but the vector displacement is still a bit cumbersome with rotation.

Btw. difference between get position and get poition in texture is that the latter line of functions can be altered (by warp, e.g.) afterwards, the former can't.