Latest Cloud Study

Started by nvseal, September 05, 2007, 07:50:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nvseal

Every time I try to take a brake from these cloud studies I always end up doing them anyway. Here is the latest, what I'm calling advanced cloud study generation X. (x because I forgot how many generations I've alread tried  ;D) Just a test render. I have been working on this for a while now and this is the first render that is ready to be seen.

rcallicotte

Believable clouds, but something looks grainy or sandy.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

nvseal

I think what you are talking about is because of the resolution (and the smaller clouds). At a higher resolution, more of the actual detail would be visible and would, I think, fix some -- if not all -- of this.

rcallicotte

Maybe it was the smaller clouds...but I envy your ability to get grain where you most need it on the surfaces and have not been able to figure it out.  In this case, it seemed a bit too grainy...but, it's still nice. 

What are you planning to do with all of your planetary work?  Are you going to have a package we can all try or do a manual or do you have some other ideas?

nvseal

It must be the clouds because there is no surfacing in this image beyond the brown base color fractal with a very large average scale. As to getting a grain from high altitudes, it has a lot to do with the fractal roughness, contrast, noise variation, buoyancy of variation, noise octaves, and scales. The color of the surface is also important (i.e. how much does the color stand out from the other colors). Perhaps I will try to make some kind of tutorial about it soon.

Besides making a bunch of renders and trying to make them better, I don't know what I'm going to do with my planet stuff. I'm no expert. I think the big push behind all of it has always been to create a complete planet -- from meters up to thousands of kilometers in space (a goal I have yet to accomplish). If anything, I might just make some tutorials sometime.

efflux

Nice. You're working at one end of the scale I have never concentrated enough on but it's a big thing to have to think of sorting out your sand and also what your continents or planetary scale clouds are like. My next move is upwards to try to get larger mountain range features. I'm tired of seeing what looks like a smooth overall planet level. My planets will look bad from outer space.

nvseal

A closer angle.

old_blaggard

http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

sjefen

ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

Volker Harun

nvseal

Quote from: old_blaggard on September 06, 2007, 12:07:42 AM
Looking good?

Are you asking me?  ;D
And a just finished test render.

rcallicotte

If I had time, I would compare this with a real picture.  I'm curious exactly how close you are.  Very good work.

nvseal

A much closer view from roughly 150 m up.

rcallicotte

Now, this looks real.  I've seen enough pictures to know this is the real thing.  You're just faking us out with pictures.  Right?   ;D

Tangled-Universe

In my opinion the last looks the best by far, stunning picture! Haze glow could be a little bit improved, rest is excellent  :)

Martin