Rock testing

Started by René, September 03, 2016, 07:51:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

René

I've been doing some rock tests (again), but i can't see the wood for the trees anymore. What do you think?

masonspappy

This is strictly personal taste, but I'm kind of partial to the last image

Kadri

1, 2 and 6 for me but all of them are good.

fleetwood

Good form experiments with lots of potential I'd say. The last, more finished one looks very nice. With additional subtle small and larger color variations that would be found naturally in most large rock formations it looks like any one of them could work well.

René

The last is also my favorite, but it has to fit in a desert scene and it's not a typical rock for a desert. I think i have to combine a few rock types with less specularity.

j meyer

No.1 would be my first choice.

Dune

1, 2 and 7 are my favorites. I very much like those, and wonder how many compute normals you had to use, and how fast/slow the files render. I tend to use as little of these time-consuming nodes as possible, but I'm also aware that to make these, you probably need more than 1 compute normal/terrain. Any insight would be most welcome of course  ;) but I would well understand if you keep your finds to yourself.

Hannes

I like them all, but the last one is my favourite. Cool!!!

René

Quote1, 2 and 7 are my favorites. I very much like those, and wonder how many compute normals you had to use, and how fast/slow the files render. I tend to use as little of these time-consuming nodes as possible, but I'm also aware that to make these, you probably need more than 1 compute normal/terrain. Any insight would be most welcome of course   but I would well understand if you keep your finds to yourself.

Render times were reasonable, an average 1,5 hours. However, to speed things up I disabled the atmosphere and changed the background color to blue.
I didn't need a lot of compute normals either, sometimes one and sometimes none at all. The displacement tolerance of the planet was set to two.

My workflow is a little different because I start with a very smooth terrain, thereafter I use very large and bold displacements with roughness set to zero as a base for further texturing. Next  smaller textures with more roughness are added, similar to the way you would make a painting or a sculpture. The smaller textures are fed into a transform shader, final position enabled, to prevent stretching.
The advantage is that in this way – at least in my experience – it is possible to get away with extreme displacements without the geometry breaking up so soon and you need less compute normals.

Top to bottom:

Terrain
Perlin noise
Twist and shear
Widen top
Medium scale textures
Strata
Final

fleetwood

Thanks for the generous explanation of your method. Very interesting.  :)

René

Dune

Yes, thanks for your explanation and sequence René. It's funny that I tend to do the same lately, start with a smooth terrain and build up. The overlapping of displacements (folding over of the planet's skin) is a point of trouble, and this way you can avoid a lot of it.

DocCharly65

Very good explanation and good result!

AP

All of the rock tests have there unique aspects about there appearance. Any one of them could fit into any realistic or more fantasy environments with additional adjustments. Also, thank you for sharing some of your techniques, very generous of you.

TheBadger

love the color in the very first image best. Like the last render in the OP best.

It has been eaten.