Cracked Face modified

Started by luvsmuzik, September 07, 2016, 09:42:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

luvsmuzik

Quote from: cbalaskas on April 22, 2007, 01:08:41 PM
This setup uses two displaced voronoi noises to generate a fractured rockface look. The more rough your terrain is, the more excessive the features are. Just messing around with things.

You have all probably already messed with this one, but it was new to me.

I changed a few things and added an image map shader to the rocks and stretched it a bit through projection camera. Now to find a way to add a little gloss or reflection to the IMS.

TG built in grass clump population anchored to base. It did funny things for me when anchored compute terrain.

bobbystahr

Lately I've been attaching a Compute Terrain or a Compute Normal to the bottom (last) shader in the Shader section with it's output open and use that for my objects. I think Dune suggested this some time back and now have no problem landing populations where I want them(for the most part anyway)
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

luvsmuzik

That sounds like great advice, Bobby.

Quote from: bobbystahr on September 07, 2016, 12:12:38 PM
Lately I've been attaching a Compute Terrain or a Compute Normal to the bottom (last) shader in the Shader section with it's output open and use that for my objects. I think Dune suggested this some time back and now have no problem landing populations where I want them(for the most part anyway)

Read in your other post about a TruSpace object. Haven't heard about that one for awhile, but I could not use those files in old TG anyway. Just now making something other than rocks, lol.

luvsmuzik

Tried this one today again, using Hanne's brass oxide material setup on the cliff face. File share has voroni 3D diff scalar with large cell height and shape displacements. Generic cloud setup.
Rendered in about an hour. TG4 free version settings

Cracked face file share
http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,1394.msg13905.html#msg13905

bobbystahr

Quote from: luvsmuzik on September 08, 2016, 10:39:02 PM
That sounds like great advice, Bobby.

Quote from: bobbystahr on September 07, 2016, 12:12:38 PM

Read in your other post about a TruSpace object. Haven't heard about that one for awhile, but I could not use those files in old TG anyway. Just now making something other than rocks, lol.

You can, if you own TruSpace, export it as an obj and run that through Pose Ray to make it TG friendly.  IIRC I tried an .obj dome a TruSpace pal straight out of TruSpace and it had problems.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

luvsmuzik

I think my TrueSpace license was from '99. Lots of changes since then.

Still messing with this one. Just noticed with some work and some water nearby, that fractal could look like water splashing down those rocks.

bobbystahr

Quote from: luvsmuzik on January 17, 2017, 07:47:34 PM
I think my TrueSpace license was from '99. Lots of changes since then.

Just before M$ bought it and sunk the TruSpace ship...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

luvsmuzik

Sort of why I stick with free stuff, but I am getting a little education.

luvsmuzik

The original file for this is hardly recognizable anymore, but it was the starting setup.

Here, I used only the large stone displacement nodes, multiply constant 3D diff voroni cells.
Just experiments...

bobbystahr

I like them all but the bottom one seems the best integrated...good stuuf
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

There are some nasty spikes, but if you can get rid of them the latter is indeed very nice.

DocCharly65

El Kabong

luvsmuzik

Thanks all. Cooling off in the heat wave.
I was still messing with this when the update was issued.
This is not rendered with the update. Now more to try.
How does one get shiney black? (maybe Hanne's carpaint tgc?)

bobbystahr

Yeah I'd try carpaint...really like the top image
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New