Almost done scene. Wait for you suggestions

Started by xNickx, September 05, 2007, 03:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xNickx

Terragen is my hobby. I'm 17 years old so I'm still learning

Comments and critiques are welcome.

My PC i slow. So small peace of image are highest quality bigger is quick render.

old_blaggard

Welcome, and I look forward to seeing what you come up with.  It's a pity about your PC being slow, though :(.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

cyphyr

A good start you got there. I would try to add come variety to the rock density as its very uniform at the moment. Maybe have a couple more layers at different sizes and using slightly different values in your distribution shaders. I would also add a few more ground layers and dont forget that when you add a new Surface Layer it comes in with a coverage of 1, this will cover all layers before (apart from its breakup, height and slope restrictions), so drop your coverage down somewhat.

Its basically a trade off between subtly of detail  (lots of layers) and speed of render (fewer layers), err put very simply (lol)

As regards your slow PC there are a couple of things you can do to speed things up. The volumetric clouds and water layer will eat up most of your render time, consider if they add to your scene or not (In my opinion the water at present dose not, didn't even see it at first). Remember there is little point in rendering at above 0.75 detail level, it will take forever and not be particularly visible. You can also take the GI Relative Detail and GI Sample Quality down from their default 2 to 1 or 0 and un-check the tickbox "GI surface details". While you are building your scene you can render at even lower quality and don't forget to use the crop region to focus in on details.

Keep at it and good rendering

Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

rcallicotte

Check out some things on billowy clouds so you won't kill your CPU and memory.  You don't have to have high density to have good clouds.  Nice beginning.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

bigben

Or if you keep the water, add some shoreline detail using a shader with an altitude restriction a little higher than the water level

Mr_Lamppost

Nice start  ;)

I would lower the cloud density a bit to make the edges softer but it's your image.  It is very tempting to throw everything at a scene but working on one element at a time will concentrate your efforts on getting to grips with the intricacies of each scene component and will help with render times if your PC is a little slow.  A lot of the techniques posted in these forums deal with very specific aspects of a scene.  Remember that while you are working on, for example your fake stone distribution, that you can temporarily disable the water, clouds and object populations, which will help with render/ development times.

Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.