Forest animated WIP

Started by Hannes, September 12, 2016, 04:10:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannes

Thanks for your comments!!
Yes, there are many ways to do this. I guess, the most realistic way would be to create a well measured path in real life that has the exact same dimensions like my forest path. Then walk that path with a camera and track it, so that it can be imported into TG. The result would be amazingly realistic I guess. It's quite tedious, but maybe one day I'll do exactly this.

Another way I used before is to use an animated (walking) character in another app, Max in my case (even the mannequin figure in Max would be enough - it's just for the movement) and to bind a camera to his head. Like this you get a quite natural camera movement as well, which can be imported into TG.

I'll do some tests to see, what's possible...

DocCharly65

Nice to see, that you're on the way  :)

Kadri

Curious if there is an app for directly exporting camera motion from smartphones?

TheBadger

Looks like everything is perfect- if the camera is the perspective of a T rex.

Oh I so hope I am going to see someone get eaten
It has been eaten.

bobbystahr

This has the makings of a real winner Hannes. "bind a camera to his head" brilliant idea!
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Hannes

Thanks Bobby. I did some tests, but I decided to first render out an animation (in better quality) with the animated camera I created in TG.
The results of my head bound camera I did some time ago looked good, but not too much better than this. A tracked real camera motion would be something else...

Hannes

Here's a new one. A little bit better quality. At least no GI flicker.
The original was quite noisy, which was reduced by the compression. Why not?
I had to stop the rendering, because from frame 250 on the camera ran into a bush  ;D.

Some postwork: I used AE's auto color function.

archonforest

Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

bobbystahr

Way better...can't wait till I get my new box so I can actually do some Terragening...right now it's click, spinning wheel, make a coffee see if anything has happen'd....sigh...at least I can still get online.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Oshyan

It looks quite nice. A very tall person enjoys a swift walk through the stormy woods. Er, the windy forest. Well, whatever. :D

- Oshyan

DocCharly65

Big improvements! Great Hannes.
I'd call it a milestone  :)

Dune

That's bloody awesome. I now realize I didn't see your first animation, but I really like this. Especially the windy trees. I think you don't even need the walk, but just a look around and the wind, if you ever do this again.
You used the mesh displacer, I guess? Can you expand on settings?

Hannes

Thanks guys!!

Quote from: Dune on September 20, 2016, 03:03:07 AM

Yes, I did. I duplicated the tree population and set the opacity of one pop's bark shader and the other pop's leaves shader to zero. I displaced only the one with visible leaves. Like that the tree's trunks didn't wobble.
I used a PF to displace the tree and animated it by a transform shader over 300 frames (linear animation in the animation view panel). I used more or less the settings I made for this:
http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,20353.msg201597.html#msg201597

Dune

Thanks Hannes. I remember that, must have your file somewhere too. I should do some animating, but I am so impatient  :P

bobbystahr

Quote from: Hannes on September 20, 2016, 04:20:45 AM
Thanks guys!!

Quote from: Dune on September 20, 2016, 03:03:07 AM

Yes, I did. I duplicated the tree population and set the opacity of one pop's bark shader and the other pop's leaves shader to zero. I displaced only the one with visible leaves. Like that the tree's trunks didn't wobble.
I used a PF to displace the tree and animated it by a transform shader over 300 frames (linear animation in the animation view panel). I used more or less the settings I made for this:
http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,20353.msg201597.html#msg201597

Briiiiliant Hannes...when I get my new box I gonna try this!
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New