Possible upgrade to my TG4 computer

Started by bobbystahr, September 15, 2016, 04:01:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PeterParker

Quote from: bobbystahr on September 16, 2016, 09:30:14 PM
Quote from: Oshyan on September 16, 2016, 07:49:15 PM
I think his recommendation is actually fairly good. He's right that the more expensive CPU option isn't that much better in practice, even though it's much newer (3-4 years I think). You can see some benchmarks here: https://youtu.be/gqH-JWoROPw?t=29s

If you could get the non-"e" variant of the 8370 CPU it might be more worth it (see benchmark video above, Cinebench mainly). But it's probably even more expensive. For $80 that CPU really is a steal. That being said, you can see that almost *any* modern Intel CPU outperforms most of the AMDs in that benchmark. Then again they're all more expensive than the AMDs for the most part, too. ;)

If you're getting 2x8GB DIMMs for your 16GB of RAM, and you have 4 slots total, then that's great. It's an easy later upgrade and saves you money now. 16GB is enough to start with. Just make sure you don't get 16GB that fills up all your slots.

So are these prices in Canadian dollars?

- Oshyan

Thanks Oshyan, he seems a good dued willing to deliver and I do need a new 'tech friend' as my last advisor left town. Yes CanaBux....even a better deal I guess.

Hello Bobbystahr,

i recommend you should save more money and have then a modern and better computer.
Dont deal with older parts cause you never know what you will get.
This is my opinion cause i´ve bad experience with used parts and computers.

paq

Hi Bobby,

Instead to buy an new 'old' cpu, you might also consider second hand market :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Xeon-E5-2670-OEM-2-6Ghz-20MB-8Core-16threads-LGA2011-115W-32nm-Sandy-CPU-/351735409610?hash=item51e5106bca:g:gOQAAOSwH71XOXO7
(75 US$ piece)

This baby should give twice the computing perf of an FX-8120 in multi-threading tasks like Terragen renderer, and you can put 2 of them on one motherboard :
http://www.techspot.com/review/1155-affordable-dual-xeon-pc/

This dual system will cost twice the system you are talking about, for a 400% speed gain on render tasks.

AMD Zen serie is supposed to come next year (first 1/4), with a new Zen 8cores/16 threads that finally seems to compete with intel 8 cores.
Of course 'there is always better later', but this time it might worth to wait  8)
Gameloft

bobbystahr

Quote from: paq on September 18, 2016, 01:23:59 PM
Hi Bobby,

Instead to buy an new 'old' cpu, you might also consider second hand market :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Xeon-E5-2670-OEM-2-6Ghz-20MB-8Core-16threads-LGA2011-115W-32nm-Sandy-CPU-/351735409610?hash=item51e5106bca:g:gOQAAOSwH71XOXO7
(75 US$ piece)

This baby should give twice the computing perf of an FX-8120 in multi-threading tasks like Terragen renderer, and you can put 2 of them on one motherboard :

This dual system will cost twice the system you are talking about, for a 400% speed gain on render tasks.

AMD Zen serie is supposed to come next year (first 1/4), with a new Zen 8cores/16 threads that finally seems to compete with intel 8 cores.
Of course 'there is always better later', but this time it might worth to wait  8)

Worth considering and I'll run this by my Tech Support who will be building this for me. But I am a program user and not at all a  DIY computer builder so this is a necessity; or buy off the shelf which was always a bad idea in the past. Plus I'm a pensioner and that is spelled 'fixed income' in extreme so cost is a MAJOR factor in any decision I make. Thanks very much for the input though. I'll include your post in my email to my TS...maybe he can sort out what is best based on info I've gotten here.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

paq

Hi Bobby,

I probably transfer your needs to mine too, so what I propose here is a little bit overkill ...
But if your professional pc builder guy is ok to deal with second hand parts (at least for the cpu), it might be possible to get an Intel system that will gives with much better perf for money ... (and still match your budget).

Pc cpu market is on hold since few years , so buying a second hand 4 years old intel cpu that was considered as high end at his time is probably the best move you can do.

Of course I'm talking about pure render performance for Terragen, for everyday tasks or gaming (GPU), an AMD system is doing fine.
Gameloft

Oshyan

Paq is right, but it really comes down to whether your system builder wants to delve into that. Here is an article on the components you can use though:
There is a later article on an even higher thread count machine but it's more expensive, uses engineering sample parts (not retail), and doesn't perform that much better than the 32 thread.

This route is more expensive, but would get you a *lot* more performance, and it's a really good deal. But it's kind of like seeing a used Ferrari for $30,000. It's the same price as a new car and is old/used, but it still goes 180mph. ;) If you could afford it, you could buy it and probably not need to upgrade again for 5+ years. Whereas the AMD system you are considering would not ideally be something you'd use for more than a few years, to be honest, at least if you stay interested in Terragen and 3D graphics in general.

- Oshyan

bobbystahr

Many thanks you guys...am compiling and sending all this to Donny and we will see if he flinches, heh heh heh. Wish me luck...well y already are with yer help....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

Another query here:
as I inherited a nearly new insignia T V when my ex passed away and don't do T V was wondering if this 27" T V would be a good monitor....would save significant money on this upgrade and give me a screen I can see....properly..comment please
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

archonforest

Depend what sort of connections you got on the tv. If its an old tv you probably got only a vga input. That is not recommended as it carries only low resolution so the picture wont be pretty.

Otherwise not sure what is the problem with getting a  normal monitor. An HD wide screen screen is pretty cheap these days.
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

bobbystahr

Quote from: archonforest on September 23, 2016, 11:20:52 AM
Depend what sort of connections you got on the tv. If its an old tv you probably got only a vga input. That is not recommended as it carries only low resolution so the picture wont be pretty.

Otherwise not sure what is the problem with getting a  normal monitor. An HD wide screen screen is pretty cheap these days.

Checked with Mr Google and as my video card has an HDMI out and the T V does as well it seems a minor amount of tweaking will get me a big picture...

this page was helpful as it's the T V I have:

http://community.insigniaproducts.com/t5/Televisions/Re-Optimal-TV-graphic-setting-as-a-computer-monitor/td-p/70998
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

archonforest

Quote from: bobbystahr on September 23, 2016, 11:58:41 AM
Quote from: archonforest on September 23, 2016, 11:20:52 AM

Checked with Mr Google and as my video card has an HDMI out and the T V does as well it seems a minor amount of tweaking will get me a big picture...

this page was helpful as it's the T V I have:

http://community.insigniaproducts.com/t5/Televisions/Re-Optimal-TV-graphic-setting-as-a-computer-monitor/td-p/70998

Yes sound like you are set! ;)
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

bobbystahr

So the dude I'm getting my computer from used to do reviews for Tom's Hardware and is the AMD rep for at least Western Canada. His name is Don Woligroski....sigh and he must be busy as he ain't answering my impassioned pleas for him to deliver the goods....sigh...on pins and needles here.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

yossam

Chill Bobby...............you know it will be there, no sense in having a stroke and then not be able to use it. Mine sat in the box for almost 6 months in my den before I could use it because of recovery from surgery. That was really a bitch.................. :'(

bobbystahr

Quote from: yossam on October 03, 2016, 04:38:14 PM
Chill Bobby...............you know it will be there, no sense in having a stroke and then not be able to use it. Mine sat in the box for almost 6 months in my den before I could use it because of recovery from surgery. That was really a bitch.................. :'(

Chilling now. on doobie # 3....

Guess it shows how bored I was when I started looking him up online, heh heh
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

masonspappy

Just schedule a 3-day trip out of town.  JUst about guaranteed that it will show up on your first day away.

bobbystahr

Quote from: masonspappy on October 03, 2016, 05:17:32 PM
Just schedule a 3-day trip out of town.  JUst about guaranteed that it will show up on your first day away.

hee hee hee
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New