Zebra's

Started by Doug, March 16, 2022, 10:34:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

I think the real issue here is your haze and dust being far to light, while roughness should be lower, and reflection higher on the zebras. You can use lighting settings on the clouds to get them just right. For example, think about the dust, the colour of the dust is going to be fairy dark. It's its diameter of the particulate in the atmosphere catching highlights that makes the whole dust appear brighter.

Check out this quick adjustment. Just to get strong daylight like contrasty lighting on the Zebras, you have to blow out everything else, cause it's far too light already. Darker colours, less density, and adjusted lighting settings could help.

In general when I tend to do haze/dust I try to keep it really light, because in Post you can easily get those saturated areas brighter and adjusted perfectly. For quick post I tend to just adjust levels, curves, and exposure. 

Doug

I think i will stop with this one.

Thanks for looking and all the ideas.

Doug

I heard you guys talking about Path Tracer on different threads.
So this is using Path Tracer and it is a little better.
Took 26 hours.

WAS

26 hours seems a bit extreme, and don't really notice much a difference. In fact if I look at the internal shadowing of the grass patches it seems standard does better than PT, which has a lot more glowing haze within the plant structures that should be pretty shaded.

This seems to be a scenario where PT isn't helping. Which is odd, seems like it would for lighting.

Makes me wonder if haze is computed lighter in PT than SR. May do some tests.

Dune

Indeed, and I would say PT wouldn't be really useful in a situation like this; sparse grass and fake stones, and distant objects. It is most useful in a situation with a lot of dark shadows like in close objects (like many plants). And it's always good to test some crops and compare.
Render time is probably that long from small displacements on ground, especially if they are complex (lots of shaders) and if there's any reflectivity. But of course also depends on machine specs.

WAS

Quote from: Dune on March 27, 2022, 02:00:46 AMIndeed, and I would say PT wouldn't be really useful in a situation like this; sparse grass and fake stones, and distant objects. It is most useful in a situation with a lot of dark shadows like in close objects (like many plants). And it's always good to test some crops and compare.
Render time is probably that long from small displacements on ground, especially if they are complex (lots of shaders) and if there's any reflectivity. But of course also depends on machine specs.

Looks like raw one or two fake stones on the ground using internal colour variation on flat ground. Shouldn't be too intense. Probably haze and object shadows.Seems like lighting settings is really high, so shadowed parts are not only calculating shadow, but heavy ambient.