Deer Tracks

Started by luvsmuzik, September 26, 2016, 10:26:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

luvsmuzik

I made an image map (black and white) to displace a creek and some tracks, center it at ground zero and displaced it -20 with a very small lake under it. I probably could have easily done this with a surface layer and painted shader as well. duh!

WIP : needs some grass peeking through the snow, bloom atmo, probably scale deer down a notch or two, maybe some clouds....supposed to be morning after early snow.

C&C welcome.

Wheat....had so long, no clue, probably AP.
Deer....free download share eons ago.

Thanks for sharing!

luvsmuzik

This render originally 2012, trying light sources...........etc., etc.

Xfrog trees

archonforest

I would not use the same deer model as population as they look identical. Use 2-3 with dif sizes with dif angles so they not looking so identical. Then if they staying on snow put more tracks on the snow. The grass? looks weird for me there like that. Perhaps put some brown populations that just stick out from the snow or nothing since the whole place looks pretty frozen.

Otherwise good idea and good start. :)
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

bobbystahr

Quote from: luvsmuzik on September 26, 2016, 10:26:09 AM
I made an image map (black and white) to displace a creek and some tracks, center it at ground zero and displaced it -20 with a very small lake under it. I probably could have easily done this with a surface layer and painted shader as well. duh!

You might want to play around with SS shader with Smooth step fall off set to 20% and a fractal warp shader after that for the curves.  You can the run that through a Translate shader set to World to move the stream where you want it. This would avoid that vertical displacement on the sides that you get with painted and/or imported image map displacements.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

luvsmuzik

Quote from: bobbystahr on September 26, 2016, 01:43:01 PM
Quote from: luvsmuzik on September 26, 2016, 10:26:09 AM

You might want to play around with SS shader with Smooth step fall off set to 20% and a fractal warp shader after that for the curves.  You can the run that through a Translate shader set to World to move the stream where you want it. This would avoid that vertical displacement on the sides that you get with painted and/or imported image map displacements.

That makes sense Bobby. I did get the border blend on the image map smoothed out.....remembering your image a couple of months ago with your pretty garden type object. I now know where to look for some of these functions and elements of which you all speak.  Thanks for the help!

This is a new map and some grass pop, still working on scale, etc....

DannyG

There's still some scaling issues between the deer, dry grass and the mountains. The second is much better than the first but ..
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

luvsmuzik

Quote from: Danny on September 26, 2016, 02:46:22 PM
There's still some scaling issues between the deer, dry grass and the mountains. The second is much better than the first but ..

You are 100% right Danny. I think maybe I made my default SSS a little too small, so I could see the detail better....workin' on it. Thanks!

luvsmuzik

Okay, I modified the original deer object and varied the scale on 2 populations. Still WIP

bobbystahr

I think I hit on what's bugging me; it seems to be Mountain Goat country, Deer tend to forests and plains. It for sure throws me off and my brain can't establish scale without an arboreal setting.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

luvsmuzik

Tried Dune's FSS for grass look here....Three shaders so far. I will increase the green stone height from 4 to 20 next render. Very small scale stones and varied density, all less than 1.
Render time 30 minutes.

bobbystahr

very nice work on the grass for sure. some longer blades would help.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

If you also add a little displacement under the grass (roughen it up), it might get pretty good, but actually I would mix this with 'real' grass. Usually the procedural grass is best somewhere in mid distance.

luvsmuzik

Giving this a rest.

FSS rocks for grass green color 0.003 scale, 0.05 density and 140 length 0 pancake, yellow color 0.003 scale, 0.04 density and 130 length with 0 pancake.

Exper. atmo bloom 0.1
Bloom 0.1
Sun 5, light yellow
Detail 0.6, AA4

TG4 free version

luvsmuzik

Grouped deer object experiment before backdrop became the Alps rather than the Smokies....I was gonna try and sneak in a tree or two.

ajcgi

Even in snow, deer forage about on the ground or reach to nearby trees. Stood in a neutral pose as a group like this is a rarety in my experience as someone with a huge archive of deer photos. Is there a chance you can change the pose of most of the deer?