Raindrops

Started by Lucio, September 06, 2007, 09:43:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucio

This is my last work, tried something different

I experimented a system to fake water transparency in TG2, it's a bit complicated but in this case gave some nice result.

Postwork (DOF and little color correction) in Photoshop

Regards,

Lucio

Kevin F

Amazing! One of the most realistic images I've seen in TG. Well done.
And the secret is?...........
Kevin.

N810

Hmmm... wonder what this button does....

Volker Harun

The drops look a bit pale (opaque) at some spots. Else a very good concept and execution.

nvseal

Very interesting. Nice displacement on the leaf too.

cyphyr

wow, care to explain your process
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Saurav

Very original, the DOF is not entirely realistic but the concept and execution of the leaf (displacements) and the raindrops are superb.

old_blaggard

Very clever!  Nice job :).
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

rcallicotte

Very nice, Lucio.  You're an amazing artist.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

efflux

NWsenior07

Wow, I hadn't even considered the possibility that TG2 could do this... Well done.

chefc

Very interesting wasn't expecting this to come from T2 so soon great job lucio 8)
Chef C  ;)

Serving the masses  8)

Lucio

Thank you all for your kind comments and critics

@Kevin F: the method consists in appropriate use of geometry, textures and Lambert shader. Every drop was modeled with MAX over a duplicated mesh model of the leaves. I converted it in a editable poly, then I subdivided every area into little edges, I extruded the resulting faces once or twice to create little 'bubbles' over the surface and then meshmooted it. Working on a textured leaf model permitted to preserve map coordinates: in this way the texture that goes to 'cover' every drop gives also the illusion of refraction. Clever, huh? ;D  Waterdrops have their own shader in TG2: it consists in a default shader with a Lambert shader that regulates translucency and luminosity.

To get a good leaf closeup I downloaded a very high res map from mayang.com. From the original image I've created a greyscale bump map, a translucency map and a luminosity map. I applied very low displacement values, in order of a tenth of millimeter.

@Saurav: That's true, some edge in the background is not realistic. This is because I applied DOF with a 'custom-built' Z-depth map :) I'll post an update with improved results

I'm re-rendering now a new version with improved waterdrop colors, making them a bit less 'opaque' (I suppose, at least :)), I'll post it here soon

Thank you again for comments,

Lucio

Lucio

Quote from: NWsenior07 on September 06, 2007, 10:15:13 PM
Wow, I hadn't even considered the possibility that TG2 could do this... Well done.

This the beauty of TG2, that is much more than a simple landscape generator. The power and flexibility of such a render engine will take a very long time to be completely explored.

Will

great job, it will be even better when we get transparency/translucency and or SSS.
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.