Opening legacy files..

Started by Clay, September 27, 2016, 12:16:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clay

Anyone else having problems opening older files in TG4? even from the beta of TG4. Okay I found the issue..if you try to open the file by double clicking on it , it won't open, drag to the TG4 app it won't open, but launch TG4 ad go to open file it will open legacy files.

Kadri

Except drag and drop (did that work at all?) i have not such a problem.
Do you use Windows, Mac? I use Windows.

Clay

Quote from: Kadri on September 27, 2016, 12:30:59 PM

Except drag and drop (did that work at all?) i have not such a problem.
Do you use Windows, Mac? I use Windows.
On the Mac side

Clay

Quote from: Kadri on September 27, 2016, 12:57:04 PM

Up to Planetside then Clay.
just kinda weird cuz the beta version worked just fine as far as simple things like that, ehhh no worries as long as my old files open I'm happy LOL!

Kadri

Clay it kinda looks like a file association problem too. But i don't know anything about Mac's.

Oshyan

Yep, sounds like a file association issue to me. Just set TG4 (non-beta) to open TGDs.

- Oshyan

Clay

Quote from: Oshyan on September 27, 2016, 03:26:29 PM
Yep, sounds like a file association issue to me. Just set TG4 (non-beta) to open TGDs.

- Oshyan
And you set that where? I looked through prefs etc.

Oshyan

It's part of your operating system, not TG. I don't know where you manage it on modern Macs.

- Oshyan

penboack

Quote from: Clay on September 27, 2016, 03:59:57 PM

- Oshyan

In OS X Finder RMB Click on the Terragen project file, choose "Get Info", in the "Open with" section choose "other" from the drop down, a window will appear where you should be able to scroll down and choose TG, make sure you check the box "Always open with", LMB Click Add to complete the operation.

I hope that fixes it.

Clay

Quote from: penboack on September 28, 2016, 10:43:35 AM
Quote from: Clay on September 27, 2016, 03:59:57 PM

- Oshyan

In OS X Finder RMB Click on the Terragen project file, choose "Get Info", in the "Open with" section choose "other" from the drop down, a window will appear where you should be able to scroll down and choose TG, make sure you check the box "Always open with", LMB Click Add to complete the operation.

I hope that fixes it.
yeah did that, I was multi tasking and forgot to do that after the upgrade heheh and guess what? TG4 is greyed out and won't let you select the app to open it, very weird.

penboack

Did you try changing "Recommended applications" to all applications?

Clay

Quote from: penboack on September 28, 2016, 04:39:49 PM
Did you try changing "Recommended applications" to all applications?
Yup, been working on macs for over 20 yrs, still doesn't work

penboack

Um well you know more than I do then, as I've only been using them for 15 ;)

It could be a problem with the Launch Services database.
Triple click the following, copy/paste into Terminal to rebuild it

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill -r -seed -domain local -domain system -domain user

I found that on my system this fixed an issue where Excel spreadsheets would open in Preview when I double clicked on them and that OS X kept loosing the file association with Excel after I had "fixed" it in Finder.

I suspect that some of the more esoteric issues I have on OS X, such as the above, are a result of running Windows 10 on VirtualBox and suspect that the other VMs may produce similar issues.

Clay

Quote from: penboack on September 28, 2016, 08:10:17 PM
Um well you know more than I do then, as I've only been using them for 15 ;)

It could be a problem with the Launch Services database.
Triple click the following, copy/paste into Terminal to rebuild it

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill -r -seed -domain local -domain system -domain user

I found that on my system this fixed an issue where Excel spreadsheets would open in Preview when I double clicked on them and that OS X kept loosing the file association with Excel after I had "fixed" it in Finder.

I suspect that some of the more esoteric issues I have on OS X, such as the above, are a result of running Windows 10 on VirtualBox and suspect that the other VMs may produce similar issues.
I don't run any windows apps on this one, but it is an issue, I've repaired permissions etc etc all the normal protocol Its really not that big of a deal.