Voronoi Fake Stones Shader v1

Started by WAS, May 02, 2022, 07:16:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Here is a voronoi fake stones shader, which, as far as I can tell, has a better colour continuity across the rock's surface. There is still the issue where some voronoi cells are just slivers, or barely visible peaks, and thus come out as tiny rocks or sliver rocks. Hopefully we're get a more powerful voronoi shader in the future.

The density function works pretty much the same as a normal fake stones shader. Example attached (which apparently GIF 2.0 images are not allowed. Says it doesn't pass security check. Only this larger 1.0 works).

I did not add warping as part of the function, besides a surface PF. The reason being is warping is inherently subjective, and can really add to the render time. So I just added a simple fractal warp after the shader in the example project. The stones do have lateral displacement, and the normal computation is masked to the stones with the merge shader, so shouldn't be computing space between and thus causing erroneous slow-down.

I hope this version of a voronoi fake stones comes in handy where conventional methods aren't working for you.

Dune

Looks very good, Jordan. I'll check it out. Thanks very much! Another positive is that they don't seem to overlap (if you don't overdo laterals).

WAS

Yeah first thing I notice about full density fake stones and mine is when they are back to back or full density, it just is just more or less displaced voronoi as is, so I added a crevices floor and ceiling setting. Also a mask tightness to overcome any displacement issues with overdoing crevices vs displacement drivers.

Hannes

Wow, that looks amazing!! Thanks a lot, Jordan!

KlausK

Oh yeah, this is really good looking
I almost gave up on the Fake Stones because I could not get them to do what I wanted.
Now it seems they are back to be used again. Thank you very much.

CHeers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

WAS

Here is a new version. Distribution isn't perfect, but so much better than what I could (or more couldn't) figure out all yesterday. Fresh eyes helped a lot.

Example image and file shows the usual merge by height method to get a complex setup of different sized stones.

Change Log
  • Added distribution function (distribute stones without fading them)
  • Improved FS Geometry
  • Adjusted FS Normal Patch Size
  • Added independent lateral displacement colour function

pixelpusher636

Really, really fantastic WAS! I'm excited to use this.

Thank you!
The more I use Terragen, the more I realize the world is not so small.

WAS

You're most welcome. Hope it works out for ya. Look forward to seeing what ya do. 

Hannes

mhaze

Brilliant work, thank you for the share.

WAS

No problem. I would love to make this more user friendly, but complicated node networks is all I know. 

Maybe @Matt could add it logic as a alternate fake stones shader. I don't need any special nothing in return, I'd be happy enough it's easier for newcomers to use. 

It seems to work well on few test scenes I did with complicated soil shaders and keeping the stones differentiate from the soils textures. 

Dune

I have to admit I didn't check it out yet, but this a good reminder!

pclavett

Sincere thanks Jordan for this share !

Dune

I finally checked it out. Nifty setup, a bit complicated (and thus slow) for my taste, but it works. There are some issues though. I don't know where they come from, I guess some hard masking somewhere. I may have a look at it later.

WAS

Quote from: Dune on November 14, 2022, 02:28:55 AMI finally checked it out. Nifty setup, a bit complicated (and thus slow) for my taste, but it works. There are some issues though. I don't know where they come from, I guess some hard masking somewhere. I may have a look at it later.
Yeah when you start layering them up for difference sizes, since those locations are random to the last iteration, things overlap. Mixing by highest could help there, but then introduces the inherent super slowdown of lots of fake stone shaders and merges.