Opacity or translucency?

Started by luvsmuzik, September 28, 2016, 05:15:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luvsmuzik

Got this ship object free also, with lots of repetitive textures.
Saw discussion elsewhere about replacing texture files in an editor. Tried many experiments, with original textures,....but cannot get the translucency of the sails like others have done.

Any help greatly appreciated.

fleetwood

Hopefully the sails are defined as a separate part. I'd put the sun temporarily in the back to better see the results and set the translucency of the sail part's default shader to a big number, say 5.0. The sail may almost appear to glow at that setting. Then just back off the setting till you get what you want. As far as using the new opacity capability I haven't tried it out so can't comment.

bobbystahr

Quote from: luvsmuzik on September 28, 2016, 05:15:09 PM
Saw discussion elsewhere about replacing texture files in an editor. Tried many experiments, with original textures,....but cannot get the translucency of the sails like others have done.

https://sites.google.com/site/poseray/home
for managing many textures, no mac version I know of
have fun.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

luvsmuzik

Quote from: bobbystahr on September 30, 2016, 12:47:31 PM

https://sites.google.com/site/poseray/home
for managing many textures, no mac version I know of
have fun.

I have worked and reworked exporting this ship both in Blender and Poseray.  I have a doable model now, but....the textures do not seem to be locking on some. In the export options in (free) Poseray, do you resize all to jpg, or use the copy image paths?  Remember I can't write to file .... or do not know how. Some of the textures for this ship are tiny .....

fleetwoods suggestion seems to work for translucency, I'm trying to lock this model texturing to use in any file now.

I use Windows 10 on an HP 4GB, so I may be outclassed for even using TG., but I like to try anyway.  I have a mac tablet and phone....gifts to share personal photos with family.

Dune

I guess you can leave all parts as they are, but just have to separate the sails, even if their textures are part of some UVmap. Just remap them alone and give them some procedural dirt in TG and then you can separately use its translucency. Where's it from?

bobbystahr

Off topic slightly, where was that free gunship from?
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

luvsmuzik

I may be getting a bill for this. Pretty sure it was free when I downloaded it. Now what?