Question about render in several times

Started by cs062, October 06, 2016, 01:56:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cs062

hi everybody

I would be maybe interrested by a urgent special offer. But i'm a beginner. I would know if it's possible in terragen 3 and terragen 4  to render a scene in several times. Example : a animated scene contains 300 frames. Is it possible to render only the first 100 frames, save the result, stop the PC ?. A another day, resume the render from frames 101 to 200, save the result, stop the PC ?. And, a another day, resume the render from frames 201 to 300 and make the final "Avi" file ?

Thank you in advance for your reply  :)

Best regards
Chris

Oshyan

I responded to this via email, but will answer here too for the benefit of anyone else who might have this question in the future:

You can definitely render specific frame ranges and stop/resume those ranges just by specifying the next frame to render and the range you want to render.  You can do this using the Sequence/Output tab:
http://www.planetside.co.uk/wiki/index.php?title=Render_-_Sequence-Output_Tab

However, whether you stop the render or not, Terragen does not assemble a final video file. That is not a capability have put into the software because we believe it is better handled by dedicated applications. We recommend MP4 or M4V for video and not AVI, but Terragen doesn't produce them, only still images in formats like TIF, BMP, EXR, etc. You can use other software to assemble these into a final video file.

- Oshyan

N-drju

While we're at it... Is there any time-lapse video mounting (free) software that you could specifically recommend Oshyan? I've tried VideoMach and a standard Windows Media Player (is this the right name? ???.)

The problem however is that WMP deteriorates the quality of the images collected into animation. VideoMach on the other hand, while it retains the original, sharp quality of the images, offers a limited number of extremely lousy transition effects. So... if you could suggest anything...
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Oshyan

When you say "time lapse video mounting", do you just mean something you can load the images into for creating a continuous movie? I use Sony Vegas products mostly, sometimes After Effects if I want to load the EXRs. Neither is very affordable, much less free. ;) AVI Demux might do it (it works with MP4 files too, despite the name). Other than that I don't have any ideas off-hand.

- Oshyan

N-drju

Quote from: Oshyan on October 07, 2016, 03:24:41 AM
When you say "time lapse video mounting", do you just mean something you can load the images into for creating a continuous movie?

Yes, this is what I meant.

But those programs you mention DO retain the original quality?

So what do you recommend next? Bank robbery? :P
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Oshyan

Original quality is generally retained *until you create an output movie file*. Then lossy compression is almost always involved because losslessly compressed (or uncompressed) movies are *huge* and play very badly on most computers due to the massive data.

- Oshyan

N-drju

Actually I achieved quite nice effects on Video Mach as far as this is concerned. It was very clean. But it has no nice effects to add to the animation. :(

cs062

Thank you very much for these replies and for these details ! :D

Best regards
Chris