Floating Population

Started by NWsenior07, September 06, 2007, 11:30:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWsenior07

I'm trying to add a .tgo population to this terrain and I have it plugged into the compute terrain node but for some reason, the population just floats a few hundred meters above the terrain. I've included an image and the .tgd file so if anyone would like to take a look at it and see if you can figure out whats going on it would be greatly appreciated.

bigben

Try using the sand node instead of the compute terrain to start with

NWsenior07

NWsenior07

Well I tried to plug the sand shader into the terrain node of the pop, the pop is now airborne but it resembles the terrain to a degree.

bigben

Volker Harun

In the populator, set the that -1200m for Y to 0. And of course BigBen's advice.

FrankB

if the displacements have occured after the compute terrain node, TG won't know the correct final coordinates of the terrain, hence the populator will be fed with "wrong" data. You either need to make all your displacements before the compute terrain node, or plug in a second compute terrain node after your displacements.

Regards,
Frank

moodflow

It might not even require another 'compute terrain' node.  I had a similar problem a few days ago, and just set the population to use the last surface shader (rather than compute terrain), and this solved the problem.
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

NWsenior07

I've tried to set the population to the last shader, and it still doesn't work. All of my displacement is before the compute terrain, should I try adding another compute terrain?

Buzzzzz

Quote from: NWsenior07 on September 07, 2007, 01:12:36 PM
I've tried to set the population to the last shader, and it still doesn't work. All of my displacement is before the compute terrain, should I try adding another compute terrain?

I just looked at your tgd file and made a few adjustments. I added a distribution shader to your population via the "Us Density Shader" and assigned the population to the sand layer. Re directed it to the plants on my machine. I also unhooked the pop control shader you had hooked the the compute terrain. Did a populate now and all the plants were sitting on the terrain as they should be.

Hope this helps

NWsenior07

Thanks for tweaking the file, for some reason it generates a bunch of errors when I load it. I've attempted to hook the shaders up the same way, but its not working. I see how it might work though.

Buzzzzz

Quote from: NWsenior07 on September 07, 2007, 02:36:12 PM
Thanks for tweaking the file, for some reason it generates a bunch of errors when I load it. I've attempted to hook the shaders up the same way, but its not working. I see how it might work though.

Here's what I see on this end.

NWsenior07

I'm still having the same issue, But I'm thinking that the population won't be visible enough to warrant the extra render time.