Long cloud render time file

Started by Clay, October 24, 2016, 08:20:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clay

Here's the long cloud render file.

Oshyan

Receive Shadows from Surfaces is still enabled in the *cloud layer* in this file. That is likely responsible for the high render times. However on my machine (a fairly modest-by-modern-standards i7-2700k at 4.2Ghz) it only takes 15 minutes, nowhere near the 3 hours you said it took you. I'm fairly sure you have a similar or better machine than mine so something may be going wrong on your machine. Any thoughts what it might be?

- Oshyan

fleetwood

Also renders in only 14 minutes on my I7 machine after making sure "receive shadows from surfaces" is not checked in  both cloud node and the atmosphere node. 

Oshyan

I left Receive Shadows enabled in the cloud layer only and it was actually 17m38s. Huh. Thanks for the confirmation Fleetwood.

- Oshyan

yossam

I rendered one with the shadows enabled and got 12m38s, one without was 10m12s. Also got an error about the size of the memory cache per thread. I'm sure that is because of my setup though.  ???

Clay

ok I'm at 44 mins half done , is it a Mac osx issue?

Oshyan

What is your system hardware?

I recall another recent thread where someone was having cloud rendering performance issues on a Mac. Ah, here:
http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,22285.0.html

- Oshyan

Clay

Quote from: Oshyan on October 24, 2016, 11:03:54 PM
What is your system hardware?

I recall another recent thread where someone was having cloud rendering performance issues on a Mac. Ah, here:
http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,22285.0.html

- Oshyan
Model Name:   iMac
  Model Identifier:   iMac13,2
  Processor Name:   Intel Core i7
  Processor Speed:   3.4 GHz
  Number of Processors:   1
  Total Number of Cores:   4
  L2 Cache (per Core):   256 KB
  L3 Cache:   8 MB
  Memory:   16 GB
  Boot ROM Version:   IM131.010A.B09
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX:

Chipset Model:   NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX
  Type:   GPU
  Bus:   PCIe
  PCIe Lane Width:   x16
  VRAM (Total):   2048 MB
  Vendor:   NVIDIA (0x10de)
  Device ID:   0x11a3
  Revision ID:   0x00a2
  ROM Revision:   3707
  Metal:   Supported
  Displays:
iMac:
  Display Type:   LCD
  Resolution:   2560 x 1440
  Pixel Depth:   32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
  Main Display:   Yes
  Mirror:   Off
  Online:   Yes
  Automatically Adjust Brightness:   Yes
  Built-In:   Yes

PeterParker

Quote from: Oshyan on October 24, 2016, 10:18:05 PM
I left Receive Shadows enabled in the cloud layer only and it was actually 17m38s. Huh. Thanks for the confirmation Fleetwood.

- Oshyan

Got this rendered in 11:23 Min. with an Intel i7 6850K and 32 GB of Ram. Receive Shadows switched on and off but makes not that big difference.
Turned then down the Atmosphere samples from 32 to 16 with defer/atmo off and got a rendertime of: 06:32 Min.

Oshyan

Thanks Peter. We've identified the probable source of this particular performance issue and it is significantly worse on the Mac. We're working to address it now and will release an update with a fix as soon as we can.

- Oshyan

Clay

Quote from: Oshyan on October 27, 2016, 02:14:31 PM
Thanks Peter. We've identified the probable source of this particular performance issue and it is significantly worse on the Mac. We're working to address it now and will release an update with a fix as soon as we can.

- Oshyan
Awesome!

bobbystahr

Hoo Ray from the pc side as well
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Clay

Yup you fixed it! Yaaay! render time of 14 miutes on the mac side with all the original settings in place.

Oshyan

Excellent! Which reminds me to formally update and say that version 4.0.04 fixes this issue and was released a couple days ago (as Clay discovered). :D

- Oshyan

Clay

Quote from: Oshyan on November 04, 2016, 06:26:02 PM
Excellent! Which reminds me to formally update and say that version 4.0.04 fixes this issue and was released a couple days ago (as Clay discovered). :D

- Oshyan
Been busy:-P