Where is the imported geometry?

Started by zzu, October 26, 2016, 02:24:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zzu

Sorry to ask this noob question, cause the way geometry is manipulated is quite different than in other 3d programs, I just need a quick answer of how to find imported geometry :( Thanks.

Dune

Left upper corner has all the objects (and populations), if that's what you mean. Objects also have a different colored node.

zzu

thanks for the quick response. Specifically, how to move the geometry to the front side of camera, do I just copy the camera's coordinates and paste it to the geometry?

My second question would be, how to move the geometry? like in most 3D programs, press W for transition, press E for rotation?

Dune

I assume you have your camera where you want it, in that case find a place in front of that camera in the preview, rightclick and copy coordinates, paste those in the coordinates of the object and it sits in front of the camera. You can rotate it in the objects coordinates' tab as well.
Or you can locate the camera near 0/0/0, because thats'where all objects end up after import.
In the preview you can select an object and manipulate it. If there are many; rightclick and select the object needed and handles appear.
Does that help?

zzu

Thank you and yes. In one Terragen demo, there was a single piece of cloud. I'm wondering how that was achieved? Cause when I create cloud, it always ended up covering up the entire sky.

Oshyan

Quote from: zzu on October 26, 2016, 03:15:22 PM
Thank you and yes. In one Terragen demo, there was a single piece of cloud. I'm wondering how that was achieved? Cause when I create cloud, it always ended up covering up the entire sky.

You want to use "Localize" cloud, it is in the options of cloud layer nodes.

- Oshyan

zzu

thanks, will try. Also, is the footage rendered in Terragen 3D 'trackable' in post processing software?

Another question I have in mind is(sorry if I asked too many questions here), does cloud and water automatically interact with objects? Or do I have to set them up in some ways?

Oshyan

I'm honestly not sure if it's "trackable", I don't know why it would be any more or less so than any other footage. But if you want the camera motion, just export the scene data in FBX (assuming your destination app(s) support FBX camera data import).

- Oshyan

zzu

And when importing OBJ file, how to bring in the .mtl file as well?  :)

Oshyan

Properly formatted OBJ+MTL files have the supported MTL information imported automatically. What are you seeing that suggests the MTL info isn't coming in? Keep in mind not all MTL settings are supported and that path information needs to be correct in the MTL. OBJ is not a well defined standard so often MTL files are poorly formatted.

- Oshyan

zzu

when my geometry was imported, it shows a default purple color for some reasons. And I have literally no idea how to check if the mtl info was imported or not.  :(

Oshyan

What are you expecting instead of the purple color, an image-based texture? If so, you need to open the .MTL file in a text editor and make sure there are textures specified in there, and see what the file path is. Make sure the path is correct, ideally an absolute path, or one with the textures in the same folder as the OBJ.

Many people use Poseray to open and re-export their OBJ files to format them properly: https://sites.google.com/site/poseray/

- Oshyan

Dune

After you import the obj, rightclick on the node and get internal, get inside the (red) parts node too (after rightclick again) and you see a (series of) default shaders attached to a series of parts shaders. They are for leaves, trunks, branches and whatnot. The tabs of the default shader have to be checked for their files, and perhaps need recalling image files for color, displacement, opacity. Often, for leaves, some translucency is also needed (0-0.75 or so), depending on species (and what you want it to look like).
After that's all correct, it's best to save as tgo, which is the native TG extension, and it remembers all the settings for easy re-import in some file.
And I probably don't have to mention filing them in a logical way, and not change that afterwards, or files won't be found if you open a tgd.