Fake stone shader menace

Started by N-drju, October 31, 2016, 11:28:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

N-drju

Every time I use fake stone shader, I always notice that the sides of the stones always form straight lines. This is especially true for flat, pancakd' stones.

Is there any way of making the edges of these stones more rounded? This is not causing any problems for me, so no muss, no fuss, but I'm still curious.

It's a pity that Planetside did not provide the "populate" option for displaceable objects like spheres - these are very versatile and I imagine they could easily replace the FSS! :'(

[attach=1]

And yes - I am experimenting with S&O shader on FSS. ;)
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

AP

I believe the Fake stones shader are limited to a type of clamped voronoi noise so that could explain the edges being the way they are. I did have some wishes to be able to change the overall shape of the stone to other fractal types (even new fractals), however populating displaceable objects would be fantastic. I have an entire stone collection that currently lays stagnant. All in due time if such changes can be made.

bobbystahr

Quote from: N-drju on October 31, 2016, 11:28:22 AM
Every time I use fake stone shader, I always notice that the sides of the stones always form straight lines. This is especially true for flat, pancakd' stones.

Is there any way of making the edges of these stones more rounded? This is not causing any problems for me, so no muss, no fuss, but I'm still curious.

It's a pity that Planetside did not provide the "populate" option for displaceable objects like spheres - these are very versatile and I imagine they could easily replace the FSS! :'(

[attach=1]

And yes - I am experimenting with S&O shader on FSS. ;)

Here's an example by Dune of how to get rounder rocks

http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,20041.msg197645.html#msg197645
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

One thing that helps a bit is to blow them up by an offset, but you'd have to do that carefully. And I don't know if that would work for such flat stones. For flat stuff like you made, you maybe don't even need to use the FSS, but just some perlin mask and displacements.
And it would be nice if Matt could use the soft voronoi as a base for the stones, or some other soft fractal, but perhaps that's not how they work.

AP

That was an issue I ran into with offsetting the stones, not all of the time but it can occur. I should try that on more flat stones just to test the idea.

I forgot that I had done some stone displacements with my 100 Functions I had shared. There might be some displacements that could serve as an alternative looking stone verses only using the Fake stones shader. Also, using the Scalar to colour function attached to a Surface layer shader mask allows adding additional effects to occur within the inner boundaries of the displaced surface.

Dune

You could try if something like this would work.....

AP

That looks to be a very interesting approach.