Triple leaves textures

Started by Hannes, August 29, 2016, 03:23:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannes

A lot of times the tree leaf textures that come together with the model seem to be quite too large compared to the rest of the tree. At least to my taste.
So I created this triple leaves texture. Just replace the original ones with these. I hope you'll find it useful.

bobbystahr

Thanks and here's a Normal map to complete the set.  :D
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

Thanks Hannes. I agree that most trees have too large leaves. But it's all to do with file size I guess; with smaller leaves you need lots of them. I tend to make/photograph complete branches as well. In Speedtree you can even make a variety of them from several leaves and stems and save them as a branch image.

If I may break into your thread; there's another thing I thought of lately. The alpha is usually a hard edged grey image. If you soften that up (considerably) TG will (for the time being!!!) read it as hard, but if you then add a PF it may be broken up on the dges, which might give nice results (decay). I still haven't tried it though.

Hannes

Quote from: Dune on August 30, 2016, 02:43:08 AM
If I may break into your thread; there's another thing I thought of lately. The alpha is usually a hard edged grey image. If you soften that up (considerably) TG will (for the time being!!!) read it as hard, but if you then add a PF it may be broken up on the dges, which might give nice results (decay). I still haven't tried it though.

Great idea, Ulco. Do you mean using a PF like in the Colour/Tint diffuse colour tab, but only for opacity? That would really be great.

Thanks Bobby! Which software did you use to make the normal map?

bobbystahr

Quote from: Hannes on August 30, 2016, 03:51:48 AM
Quote from: Dune on August 30, 2016, 02:43:08 AM

Great idea, Ulco. Do you mean using a PF like in the Colour/Tint diffuse colour tab, but only for opacity? That would really be great.

Thanks Bobby! Which software did you use to make the normal map?

Photoshop, I posted earlier this year about a freebie plugin from NVIDIA..works great...

https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-texture-tools-adobe-photoshop
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

What use would a normal map have, use as displacement? I mean, where do you add it in the object?

mhaze

As vector displacement?  Thanks Hannes

Dune

Vdisp inside the object.... mmm... have to see what happens then.

fleetwood

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on August 30, 2016, 10:09:27 AM
What use would a normal map have, use as displacement? I mean, where do you add it in the object?

I find they have a sometimes nicer effect than a displacement map and use them instead. I think on lower poly(game style)stuff you benefit more.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune