Object smoothing WIP

Started by Mr_Lamppost, September 07, 2007, 10:35:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr_Lamppost

Now that object smoothing is working I can post this, it is still WIP, needs work on the surfacing; fake stones, mushrooms, foreground sand, a little variation in the background and not forgetting the tower.  This has been on hold for months because without smoothing the mushrooms looked pants. 

Mushroom and tower objects are made using Wings 3D (Oh how we love the Object/Smooth function   :-[).
Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.

rcallicotte

This is fun.  And cool.  Glad it's working.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

MooseDog

that's fantastic news that object smoothing.  thx planetside!

question (since i don't have the update):  is there the ability to modify the smoothing based on angles between ploys within the model?  i.e. >45deg, >23deg adn so forth, or is it a built-in algorothim?

efflux

Cool. Looking great so far. I love the mushrooms. Yes, Wings 3D is a really cool app. I've used other more powerful apps but Wings compares very well. I like the workflow in that app. Very well thought out and it's free!

Harvey Birdman

Quote from: MooseDog on September 08, 2007, 10:12:55 AM
question (since i don't have the update):  is there the ability to modify the smoothing based on angles between ploys within the model?  i.e. >45deg, >23deg adn so forth, or is it a built-in algorothim?

I could be wrong, but the impression I have is that TG2 doesn't apply any smoothing algorithm of it's own. Rather it imports normal data from the the model file (already smoothed as desired with Wings3d or whatever) and uses that instead of calculating normals based on polygon orientation (with no smoothing).

cyphyr

Quote from: Harvey Birdman on September 08, 2007, 11:42:20 AM
Quote from: MooseDog on September 08, 2007, 10:12:55 AM

I could be wrong, but the impression I have is that TG2 doesn't apply any smoothing algorithm of it's own. Rather it imports normal data from the the model file (already smoothed as desired with Wings3d or whatever) and uses that instead of calculating normals based on polygon orientation (with no smoothing).

Agreed, the smoothing angle is set by the app that creates the object. If your using Poser Ray (Free) to convert your objects then on your import options you can change crease angle as you load the object.
Would be sweet if we could make these changes in Terragen.
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

sjefen

Looks cool. I am also happy the object smoothing is working :)
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB