Not to be held in check

Started by bobbystahr, November 07, 2016, 01:54:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

Godot has finally arrived, I wound up with a more expensive cpu cuz the cheeper one wouldn't play nice with the mobo and he also updated the video card with a more expensive/current one and is getting me a replacement for the bad stick of RAM which was causing all the problems. No extra costs.
Rendering a big one of this scene, muchly updated, as I type and it seems way faster.

for the curious

AMF FX-8370E Eight Core Processor 3.321 Ghz
AMD Radeon HD 5800 Series
only 8 G RAM atm but more to come
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

archonforest

8 times 3.2 Ghz sounds cool for rendering ;)
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

bobbystahr

The pansies are a bit too large and I'm adding an evergreen pop of some kind to the distant mtn slope
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

Many updates later....C&C welcome...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

Congratulations, Bobby, on your working rig! So from now on, we'll be treated by outstanding big renders  ;) This update is great, I love most of it. One point of 'C'; how about the size of the firs? Either they are really big, or that mountain isn't as high as I thought it was (judged by the snow edge blurryness, e.g.).

AP

It is great to hear you now have a more powerful machine. Insert evil laugh!

archonforest

Nice one bobby!! I like it a lot. Only thing I would change a bit is the uniformity of the flowers at the front. Perhaps make a bigger difference between the smallest and biggest so more variations will pop.
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on November 09, 2016, 02:18:12 AM
Congratulations, Bobby, on your working rig! So from now on, we'll be treated by outstanding big renders  ;) This update is great, I love most of it. One point of 'C'; how about the size of the firs? Either they are really big, or that mountain isn't as high as I thought it was (judged by the snow edge blurryness, e.g.).

There's an overall scale problem. The walls should have been scaled to the veg, not vice versa as I did and I may rebuild this to scale now that renders aren't so scary.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

luvsmuzik

Positively love the detail of the gate and wall. Quality is great. So glad Godot is behaving.
....His comments grew shorter and shorter, lost in concentration, as he created masterpiece after masterpiece, intent on perfection.....
Good job!

bobbystahr

Quote from: luvsmuzik on November 09, 2016, 08:22:13 PM
Positively love the detail of the gate and wall. Quality is great. So glad Godot is behaving.
....His comments grew shorter and shorter, lost in concentration, as he created masterpiece after masterpiece, intent on perfection.....
Good job!

Working on a complete redesign but in a test render so I have a few seconds to reply...many changes and real world scale. Scaled my walls to the adult free fir tree from the xfrog pack of veg.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

DocCharly65

It comes closer and closer to be perfect! Nice!
I could repeat the others suggestions (especially those with the uniformity of the flowers at the front)

But I just wait for your redesign  :)
Anyway a picture with charm, I like very much!

bobbystahr

but from the same elements. In this one I duplicated the Paint shader and ran it thru a Colour Adjust till I got that sorta random mask for the edge of the path which I applied a base Fake stone to and they came out as slices...very handy.The walls needed reducing an amazing amount, the grass is default size Dune #3 and #6 and now the trees on the mountains are far enough away to look small as they should at that distance. Thinking maybe I should have used Cylindrical mapping on the corner posts as the texture just turns into lines on the sides...kinda disappointing. At it's render time I may do a Final Reprise version.

Just tried Cylindrical on it and it works so another version will appear with maybe more changes depending on the C&C which is always welcome.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

Mountain is great now, so are the far trees, but... I liked the large trees better. These are a bit translucent, which might fit the Oriental mood, but still. I also think you need more grasses in front. Cover it all up with other types as well. Less of the large yellow ones. And how about the 'paper' that the path seems to lie on? You know I'm very critical, so bear with me  ;)

DocCharly65

Very very nice mountain now!
I also like the patches of yellow flowers.

If you still have patience to play with that setup:
Yes - back to the bigger trees please :)
If you have place and PC power left, I'd think it would be nice to have another population with grass.
I'd try the GRass_Blender_FInal_Late_Summer.tgo from Chris quite dense but not too big.
What do you think?

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on November 11, 2016, 01:35:08 AM
Mountain is great now, so are the far trees, but... I liked the large trees better. These are a bit translucent, which might fit the Oriental mood, but still. I also think you need more grasses in front. Cover it all up with other types as well. Less of the large yellow ones. And how about the 'paper' that the path seems to lie on? You know I'm very critical, so bear with me  ;)

Well, if i didn't want Crit I wouldn't welcome it so thanks. The White Mallee were actual scale but I liked 'em larger as well so I doubled their size.
I redid the buttercup.tgo pop and roughened the road a bit. With only 8 G RAM atm more pops are beyond my computer's ability; it eats up 50% to start the render and 98% from the time the prescan finishes. I found some cash or another pair of 8 G sticks so as soon as my pal gets the dud replacement from Corsair I'll have 32 G RAM. Then I'll be rockin, and poppin heh heh. 3 AM as I type and a render just started so I'm off to bed...will post it in the morning.. Thanks all for the input...we shall see.

The story so far, still not 100% happy though
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New