Dogs of war

Started by Hannes, November 21, 2016, 03:53:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DannyG

New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

dorianvan

Looking cool. You mentioned that you have grass animated. I wish I could see it to see what you mean; bending down in like waves in an ocean? Anyway, how many people are there? Does it greatly slow the rendering, the more people. Do you think this walking animation could work for say a pop of a million from high above.
-Dorian

Hannes

Quote from: dorianvan on December 01, 2016, 12:29:25 PM
Looking cool. You mentioned that you have grass animated. I wish I could see it to see what you mean; bending down in like waves in an ocean? Anyway, how many people are there? Does it greatly slow the rendering, the more people. Do you think this walking animation could work for say a pop of a million from high above.

Thanks, guys!
Dorian, I'll see, if I can make a small crop animation of the grass without the fog in bright sunlight. I just displaced it with an animated PF.
I don't know how many people there are, but I can say that TG is pretty good in rendering vast loads of instances. I never tried it so far, but I'm sure, rendering a million of these guys would work. Worth a try when I have time!

KyL

Could you render a 2K frame of that?

really curious to see it at full quality!

Hannes

Quote from: KyL on December 02, 2016, 11:43:53 AM
Could you render a 2K frame of that?

really curious to see it at full quality!

Here it is.

Dorian, I'm rendering a small animation of the grass at the moment. I'll post it as soon as possible.

Hannes

Here is a low res grass animation of the original file. It's not perfectly natural (somehow looks more like underwater weed), but since it's barely noticeable in the Dogs Of War clip, it's OK for me.

dorianvan

Wow, that's very interesting. It looks like the individual grasses are waving/undulating. How does that work?! All in TG? I remember the tree (with the birds scene) moving that you did, but I think you imported the animation from Max. Thank you for the render!
-Dorian

Dune

Hey Hannes, how did you do the warrior sequence? And how many objects are they?

Hannes

Quote from: dorianvan on December 03, 2016, 08:00:12 AM
Wow, that's very interesting. It looks like the individual grasses are waving/undulating. How does that work?! All in TG? I remember the tree (with the birds scene) moving that you did, but I think you imported the animation from Max. Thank you for the render!

Thanks! This is just object displacing with an animated PF.

Quote from: Dune on December 03, 2016, 08:56:50 AM
Hey Hannes, how did you do the warrior sequence? And how many objects are they?

This one here? Not quite sure what you're asking.
There are thirteen populations with roughly sixty instances each, which makes roundabout 780 objects. Plus the grass patches.

Dune

So you have 13 poses, each next pose having a leg or arm changed? No 13 going into 1 again, etc...?

dorianvan

Quote from: Hannes on December 03, 2016, 09:52:09 AM
Thanks! This is just object displacing with an animated PF.

I'll have to give it a try if I can, thanks.
-Dorian

KyL

This looks really good!

Hannes

Quote from: Dune on December 03, 2016, 10:08:11 AM
So you have 13 poses, each next pose having a leg or arm changed? No 13 going into 1 again, etc...?

Ah, that's what you mean. No, Ulco, there are four different object sequences I created in Max using motion capture walking loops. Two different ones with the sword in their right hand, one with a torch and one with the flag. I used different loop offsets of the same sequences to create a total of thirteen populations. Plus an additional one for the smoke, which is an object I assigned a transparent material with a PF to, which was YOUR idea when I was looking for a solution for rotating propellers during the NWDA road side contest  :).

Dune

Thanks Hannes, totally clear now.