Dogs of war

Started by Hannes, November 21, 2016, 03:53:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

Wow on the grass, 'nuff saif. animated PFs eh, cool thinking.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

dorianvan

Hannes, I was wondering about a few things on this animation. Did you use any other program for the people other than 3d Max, such as Poser, to dress/animate? Also, when rendering, I'm curious about your GI settings. And anything special in the Advanced tab? Thanks.
-Dorian

Hannes

Quote from: dorianvan on December 15, 2016, 08:16:51 AM
Hannes, I was wondering about a few things on this animation. Did you use any other program for the people other than 3d Max, such as Poser, to dress/animate? Also, when rendering, I'm curious about your GI settings. And anything special in the Advanced tab? Thanks.

Hi Dorian, it was just 3ds max. I'm not a great Poser fan, so whenever it's possible I use other apps.
The GI settings are almost default. GI cache detail and quality 2/2, occlusion weight (GISD) 1.5. I wrote a GI cache file to get rid of the GI flickering.
The sunlight has a blueish color, set to a strength of 3.5, and the environment light has a value of 1.8 in "Strength on surfaces".

dorianvan

Thanks. I like the flexibility of clothing that poser offers, with max it's what you see is what you get, unless I'm mistaken. Great result for such low settings though.
Did you write a file for every frame?
Did you use the default of 5 for blending?
For the walk cycle, did you use a preset or make your own?
What I meant by the Advanced tab was really the Render subdiv settings tab? Any changes from the default there?
-Dorian

Hannes

Quote from: dorianvan on December 15, 2016, 11:38:40 AM
Thanks. I like the flexibility of clothing that poser offers, with max it's what you see is what you get, unless I'm mistaken. Great result for such low settings though.

There's cloth simulation in Max, but also a modifier named Skin wrap, which can be used to conform things to the body.

Did you write a file for every frame?

Every 5th frame.

Did you use the default of 5 for blending?

Yes.

For the walk cycle, did you use a preset or make your own?

I used .bip motion capture files.

What I meant by the Advanced tab was really the Render subdiv settings tab? Any changes from the default there?

Nope!

dorianvan

Thanks. I have a project coming up with Ulco and we are going to need a million or two people milling about and I'm researching which way to go; poser to max/vray, max to TG (like your Dogs of war), or a crowd simulation software like Massive (http://www.massivesoftware.com/massive-for-max.html) and comp together with TG.
-Dorian