Object doesn't cast shadow???

Started by masonspappy, November 25, 2016, 10:58:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

masonspappy

This kind of baffles me. Seems like there should be a simple explanation but I can't figure what it is.

In image below, the tree object casts a definite shadow across the snow surface, but the pan object casts a shadow that it is barely discernible, and so imparts a 'hovering' effect to the pan.

I've verified the pan really is setting on the snow surface and tried just about everything I can think of to darken the pan's shadow.  But no dice.   If anyone has any idea at all I would appreciate hearing it. 

Thanks!

Dune

Weird indeed. There is a shadow I can see, but very light. Perhaps the GISD settings for the light? Or the object opacity is reduced to about 0.5 and 1 (which lessens shadow darkness)?
Or the snow is too luminous, but that would also influence the others? That's all I can think of.

Oshyan

There appear to be several possibly strange things going on. The shadow of the tree seems odd to me, for example. Why does the foliage appear to go all the way down to the bottom of the trunk?

How many light sources are in the scene? Can you try the pan object in a default scene and see if it works correctly there?

- Oshyan

masonspappy

Thanks Dune and Oshyan.  Finally traced the problem back to a snow shader I'm using. (was actually Dandelo's sand shader from a few years back, converted to look like snow).  When the shader is turned off and the objects are re-adjusted to sit on the actual surface, the shadows appear as you would expect.

masonspappy

Fixed it!  Just needed to re-do the shader inputs. Thanks for the help Dune and Oshyan!

Oshyan

Glad to hear you sorted it out. :)

- Oshyan