Instant beaches

Started by Dune, November 26, 2016, 02:57:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

Well you're certainly getting further than I've got so far....lookin good.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

Got some surf working now, some islands in the inlet (with their foam), and a variable way to increase/decrease the steeps above the lake in an erosive kind of way, sort of. They are independent of the patches of beach. I still have to see what happens if I hit reseed of several variables, if it's really versatile.
Still no compute normal or compute terrain needed  ;)

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on November 27, 2016, 11:40:56 AM

Still no compute normal or compute terrain needed  ;)

But you'll need one for pops right?
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

Yes, if you need to rotate with the terrain, otherwise not. I used one here to get some angled trees. But that one won't influence render time.
With a compute terrain to compute the whole terrain, especially after a lot of nodes it may add significantly, so I try not using one, if possible.

Okay, updated iterations. I might put something together for NWDA, just like the river preset, with masked areas to fill in. But it would need some more EasyLogic and cleaning up  ;)

Hannes

That looks insanely good, Ulco!!!!!

DocCharly65

I found this a minute ago! What a great project - and how far it already has grown!
Great Ulco!

Dune

Thanks, guys. The nice thing about this is that the beaches can be made/altered by a mouseclick (reseed) in any procedural terrain, autoleveling the shore line, and the foam hugs to the new shoreline. It can also be all beaches. Adding islands with another click, and chenging water depth and slope by another click. It would be nice to be able to choose locations of the beaches by say angle of the ground, but that's future dreaming  ;) (but should be possible)

DocCharly65

Will be extraordinary good anyway... look at the signs:

[attachimg=1]

Congratulations Ulco  ;) ;)

Dune

Ah, yeah, thanks, Nils. Now quickly dispose of that digital 5  ;)

DocCharly65

Isn't that magic?

You say one word and 10.000 of your posts show a different number... I must meditate how this works...  ::)

Something more serious now:
Seems that there will be a big potential in your TGD
Will you implement advices inside the TGD (Text group or something like that) or add a PDF manual or both?
I hope everybody would do but I personally would surely invest some more bugs on NWDA for a good documentation.

bobbystahr

Quote from: DocCharly65 on November 28, 2016, 11:13:54 AM
Isn't that magic?

You say one word and 10.000 of your posts show a different number... I must meditate how this works...  ::)

Something more serious now:
Seems that there will be a big potential in your TGD
Will you implement advices inside the TGD (Text group or something like that) or add a PDF manual or both?
I hope everybody would do but I personally would surely invest some more bugs on NWDA for a good documentation.

Based on the River Project I'm guessing Ulco will include a very useful .pdf file in the download...I WILL have to buy this one for sure.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

otakar

Dude you're a magician. The description sounds almost too good to be true. And certainly from this camera position, the foam looks very realistic!

I can finally play with the river, acquired it along with other goodies I have had my eyes on for a long time on Black Friday :)

Dune

Yes, Bobby is right; if I get to finish this, I'll include plenty of words. First need some more proof of principle, don't want any angry faces  :P

Matt

Quote from: DocCharly65 on November 28, 2016, 11:13:54 AM
Isn't that magic?

Only when someone reads them :) If a tree falls in a forest when no-one is there to hear it, does it really make a sound?

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.