Instant beaches

Started by Dune, November 26, 2016, 02:57:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

You can get nasty warps in your mind, thinking about such things  ;D

mhall

Ulco ... the first thing out of my mouth when I saw those updated images was "Holy F-" That looks really nice!

This gets me thinking of Easy Clouds. I wonder if this isn't a setup that perhaps PS should consider purchasing from Ulco so that they can study it and implement it internally, similarly to the Easy Clouds setup  ... but obviously only if it offers benefits such as simplified interface and faster rendering.

Matt - does internalizing nodes like this offer any speed ups over TG having to evaluate the nodes in the node graph? I mean, are there any internal optimizations that TG can take care of when something is more "hardcoded" vs being evaluated a runtime via the node graph?

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on November 30, 2016, 02:05:58 AM
You can get nasty warps in your mind, thinking about such things  ;D

So THAT is what happened to me
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Oshyan

Yes, things can be further optimized in "hard coded" nodes vs. when implemented in more general shaders. But that also comes at the cost of reduced flexibility in most cases. I don't think purchasing setups from Ulco or others is on the table, but developing tools to make common effects and terrain features easier to create certainly is.

- Oshyan

Dune

I have little time, but did some more tests, and it seems the principle is working nicely. Did some reseeding of terrain and of beach node and new landscapes emerged with nice beaches. Some glitches to overcome yet.... will  post some renders soon.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on December 01, 2016, 10:02:00 AM
I have little time, but did some more tests, and it seems the principle is working nicely. Did some reseeding of terrain and of beach node and new landscapes emerged with nice beaches. Some glitches to overcome yet.... will  post some renders soon.

I wait with anticipation...am enduring a just over 9 (I figger,  not done yet) render of Ver. 10 of that bloody stream scene HEH HEH, not as speedy on large renders as I'd hoped. This one will be 1920x1080.
I may yet start again as it went waaaay off course from the first one I posted here.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

Okay, here are some renders. All the same file, just some reseeding of terrain (or changing mix 1 to billows or ridges in the terrain PF), and/or reseeding the beach node. And choosing a new POV...
In the earlier renders there are some strange lines in the beaches, but I've got them out.

bobbystahr

Whoooeee, most impressive. A lot of variety there and with creative popping and seeding etc. you  could have thousands of different scenes to work with. Well done man....and I just posted my creek in it's old thread.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Rumburak

N-drju

You know what they say - life is a beach... But for Ulco this is no problem atoll. :P
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

bobbystahr

something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

masonspappy

KyL

looks like it's working really well!

good job

Rumburak

Any news about this fantastic beach setup?

Dune

I haven't had much time lately, but as a matter of fact tried something else yesterday... failed and not very nice, but well, the beaches are still there. There are things to clean up and change, and make comprehensible. I was hoping to get some lateral displacement over the beaches, overhangs, but have to find another way... And I hope not to need increasement of the displacement tolerance.