Diacritic marks

Started by N-drju, December 03, 2016, 09:23:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

N-drju

I was really careful so far (I should not even care about this kind of stuff but I have to!) but it happened again - please do something with diacritic marks ruining the project loading!!
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Dune

So you have the same problem, huh. I always have to take care to put something in a box and delete it again, or a pop may end up having 0 instances or something worse. Always this ' when I start up TG.

N-drju

This time it got really annoying. I made some very meticulous adjustments to my current project and then added an object. Located in a folder that had Polish "รณ" and "ł" in its name. I got parse error (something like this) and everything in that save increment got wrecked. ::) I didn't loose much, but my adjustments before the save took quite long so I was pissed - plain and simple. I don't know, why hasn't this issue been addressed yet?
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Oshyan

As far as I understand it's actually a fairly significant amount of work to add Unicode support. Unless I'm mistaken it also should not totally ruin the project, you ought to be able to just go in with a text editor and remove that specific file/path reference and load it just fine.

- Oshyan

N-drju

No, no, it does mess the file from top to bottom. Trust me. Also editing the file name post factum does not repair the problem - I did that. Upon another loading the project is still dysfunctional.

I just don't get it why after so many updates diacritic marks are still not supported... I imagine glass shader, render layers, and populating on objects also required significant amount of work... Maybe even more. And alphabet is still TG's Achilles' heel...? ::)

Matt

I'm looking at this now. I'll see if there's some way we can improve this soon.

At the moment, project files with these characters won't load properly, but it should then give you an error. If you see the "Parse error: not well-formed (invalid token)" error, don't save the project afterwards. I have never seen TG3 or TG4 corrupt the project at save time, unless it's already loaded incorrectly. So I think what happened is that you loaded the project and the error message was hidden from you somehow (the Errors and Warnings window doesn't always pop up at load time, I've noticed), so you didn't know there was a problem, and then you saved the corrupted project. Terragen needs to get better at preventing this from happening.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

N-drju

Thanks for the answer Matt. I am afraid though that your description of the problem is not necessarily the case.

The "Parse error" indeed does appear but only after loading of the project that has reference to the folder or file with diacritic marks. No warnings or errors appear just by adding the object named, for instance, "Dąb Bezszypułkowy". Terragen does not react when loading such an object.

I always pay attention to the error and warning window. Besides, even if it is hidden it still flashes. I don't think I could miss that. Maybe I'll try tomorrow and let you know.

Matt

Yes, that's what I meant. If it gives you that error when loading the project, you can edit the .tgd in a text editor to change the names that are causing problems, then you should have a project that loads properly again. You said that didn't work when you tried it, which makes me think you saved the project again after it was loading with that error. If you re-save it's more difficult to recover the project. If you didn't do this, it is recoverable.

Matt

Matt

Quote from: N-drju on December 08, 2016, 05:02:54 AM
No warnings or errors appear just by adding the object named, for instance, "Dąb Bezszypułkowy". Terragen does not react when loading such an object.

That is true. It is only discovered after reloading the project or copy-pasting the object.

Matt

N-drju

Matt,

I did not catch that at first - "repairing" the file via text editor! Yes, that might probably work alright...