The other space station ;)

Started by DocCharly65, November 28, 2016, 04:35:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

Quote from: Kadri on December 15, 2016, 09:26:32 AM
Quote from: Dune on December 15, 2016, 04:02:13 AM
...Just like flipped normals in such an object. I don't know any method to quickly find and reverse those.

"Align" (under Details+Polygons) (or Unify Normals) in Lightwave modeler does work mostly very good in that regard Ulco.

The Normals switch in Groups in PoseRay helps a lot as well with that.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

DocCharly65

Thanks to all ... some very interesting suggestions. And a very cool video, Kadri! Funny and nice scene!  ;D

Bobby, I think I will try your suggestion some day. In principle it sounds really easy but until now I use Poseray only for quick retexturing and recalculate normals.

Besides : does anybody know what recalculate normals does? I only see the result: some models first look like consisting of many little pillows and after recalculating lines and borders are straight again... Iuse it and I am happy - but what does it??? - as I said I am no modelbuilder...  ;)

Other work I do with Wings3D and very seldom with Blender...

Dune

Cool test, Kadri and thanks for the tip, very useful! I love that crash actually, and have to check that out in depth.

Afaik recalculating normals takes the angles of the polygons and makes a weighted new set of data. If you set the angle low, the overlap of angles is somehow not smooth, so I guess that's in the numbers somewhere. All I know is that you have to choose the angle just right for different parts.

j meyer

Recalculate normals recalculates the face normals of a given object or a selected part
thereof. Based on the angle between adjacent faces. That means that the angle between
two faces decides, if an edge between two faces is to be rendered sharp or smooth.
In Wings3D you would use 'hard' or 'soft' edges. That way you don't have to deal with
angles, which doesn't work properly for most models found on the web(without additional work
like splitting into parts etc).
The automated functions miss many edges most times.
So you're better off to do it in Wings by hard and soft edges. The 'select' features help a lot
with that.
Wings has a 'show normals' feature btw., helps understanding, especially the difference between
an inverted normal and an inverted face.
Errh.., enough 'Klugscheisserei' for now.