The sun went down and the light came on

Started by Mr_Lamppost, September 09, 2007, 08:34:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr_Lamppost

I don't remember putting it there but that lantern must have a photocell.  :)

Thanks for the GI fix in the latest update. I always wanted to do this but I was just getting a completely RED render with the previous version  :(

It needs a few final adjustments but I am so pleased that is now working I decided to post it anyway.

The foreground grass is definitely a problem; I am sure I read that there was I fix for object placement in this latest update, I will have to investigate further.

Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.

moodflow

Is that you Mr. Lampost?  If so, excellent portrait!  ;D

Nice work by the way.  The moon really makes the scene.
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

Mr_Lamppost

Once I get the wrinkles ironed out I may use this version as my ID for a while.

As you say the moon makes the image.  I could be wrong but I don't think I have seen any other images where the moon was just: The Moon. 

moodflow

Yea this would definitely make a great avatar for you.

I've been trying to get moons right, and haven't been all too successful yet.
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

rcallicotte

This is fantastic, except I want to see something in the foreground.

Could be a good avatar for you.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

dhavalmistry

please forgive me but I dont see any improvements....
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

Mr_Lamppost

OK I've been away for a few days.  But the latest update does fix the population placement problem so I got the foreground semi sorted, I am still getting a little light leak through the top of the lantern (Cheap repro  >:( ), but I am using an area light to get soft shadows from the white glass.  Once we have working transparency I can put clear glass back and do a proper gas jet.  

The grass is not perfect but here is the final version:

Mr_Lamppost

Quoteplease forgive me but I dont see any improvements....

You are right.  The original image was being displayed I removed and re-did the post giving the new version a different file name so you should see the difference now. 

dhavalmistry

now there it is.....I like the foreground...although a little more grass
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

Mr_Lamppost

Yes I agree, the grass on the left is just tufts but I am not sure that my Telly Tubby lamppost on the top of a mountain merits another day and a half's render time. The low quality tests looked OK; I should have probably done a high quality crop  ;)

rcallicotte

Pretty cool.  Now all you need is to be able so see something at the lampost's base.  Then, you'll have a mysterious night shot.

Mr_Lamppost

Wouldn't the obvious kill the grass  ;D

There is a fundamental problem with this scene.  Any isolated lamppost where the lamp is mounted in line vertically with the column illuminates everything except itself. 

The way windows has been performing over the last few days I could just hang Bill from one of the ladder bars. 

rcallicotte

LOL.  Bill wouldn't like that very much.  Besides, he's retired.

I think the next update or two will make scenes like this render much more realistically.  That light should be illuminating everything underneath it...naturally.  Or so I hope.