Elementacular 1.5 released - volumetric cloud shaping plugin for Maya

Started by pokoy, December 16, 2016, 08:51:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hetzen

Ulco, I've sent this set up over to Oshyan to have a look at, so perhaps I shouldn't give the details away at the moment. It's quite different to those examples AP. When I re-wrote this yesterday I realised I only needed one Linear step in the graph. And Mogn I stuck a conditional in there  :P

AP

I figured as much after I studied more based on what this was about. I was tempted to run some experiments of my own, however not directly related to blobs but if anyone wants to look at these I can post the files later after a few more are finished.

Dune

@ Jon; no problem.
@ AP; those are pretty cool. There are clouds like those. I guess you can use a sinus function or some kind of PF multiplied by altitude ranges.

Hannes

Just did a quick test with localised clouds as blobs. Like that you can roughly see where the blobs are.
I guess this won't work with easy clouds, but with V2 or V3 it does.

Hetzen

There's some nice work there AP. Looks like you're using the altitude to drive a perlin in some of those. They remind me of a Battlestar Galactica - Cylon Basestar.

@Hannes: That's how DandelO did his I think.

Hannes

Quote from: Hetzen on December 18, 2016, 11:54:08 AM
@Hannes: That's how DandelO did his I think.

Ah, I have to confess, that I haven't read all the postings... :-[
Thanks, Jon!

AP

Not exactly an altitude to drive the noise but function nodes, however I intend to use altitude driven ideas to attempt to create a possible anvil top for cumulonimbus clouds but the starting idea there is to attempt the more tall primary cloud patterns and tight secondary cauliflower-like patterns which make up the cloud convection effect before flattening in the troposphere. Right now, what you all see is a general idea for mesocyclone super cell storm systems, hence the Cylon Basestar look. I just need to have the tight billowy patterns to grab all over the primary cloud. No success as of current.

AP

A few more.

AP

Quick question. Is there a way to limit any effect using a surface layers altitude for example with the clouds? I had a Surface layer attached to the cloud density on top of everything else using another noise as it's child but no change what so ever.

Dune

I sometimes used a distribution shader with altitude settings to influence clouds, used as a mask. If you use a few and have them mask fractals, you can get different fractals at different altitudes within one cloud. Or use a color adjust to alter the same fractal but at different altitudes.

AP

Dune

Does...

AP

It appears I overlooked some things. Here is the result.

Oshyan

Wow, you are getting some results that are very close to huge "anvil" thunderstorm clouds. Keep it up! And share when you nail it. ;)

- Oshyan

AP

Indeed, I will. There is some more testing to be had. I should start a new post based on these experiments as this diverged from the original post subject.