Not the real Abbey

Started by DocCharly65, December 15, 2016, 03:07:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

Now yer cookin, that really works...add the ivy....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

Some things are very logical, but you have to see it. I don't, often.

I use merge shaders also, with a PF+transform to control the mix, because when you add procedural texture via a surface shader, the bump applied in the default shader is still there (so also on the plaster!). If you merge them, each can have their own bump.

DocCharly65

Quote from: bobbystahr on December 18, 2016, 05:27:19 PM
Now yer cookin, that really works...add the ivy....

As you wish, sir.
I let the servants immediately make the plantings  ;D

[attach=1]

The castle now has big problems with the building fabric and a structural engineer would despair... but I like it more and more  ;)

luvsmuzik

That is getting quite charming. I am sure someone will tell you to throw another power fractal in there somewhere, but really looking great!

DocCharly65

Thanks  ;D

Maybe every render could be improved and  it's a fruitful learning process...
But for the moment... now anyway I need the PC again for other renders. So this is final (I guess at least for some time ;)  )

bobbystahr

I think this would be a good place to say done as well. You could do more; but it could also get worse with more....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

One thing Nils; what are the black square-like blobs at the little towers? Missed a part for the stonework?

I really like the ivy, they grew fine, good soil I presume. Or good gardener.

DocCharly65

Thanks   :)

Ulco, it's funny that you say this - I already was thinking about changing the texture of them. They are UV mapped together with all the little roof tops and they have a rusty dark metal texture. In future I will perhaps change them into stone, I guess.
It's a little elaborate to separate them because the model is meanwhile quite resource hungry so I wanted to wait for this and one or two other details until I prepare the scene for animating.

The ivy was not that easy and needed much patience. I generated it with a gutted version of the castle in Thomas Luft's Ivy Generator. It needed about 90-100 single strings of ivy to get an uniform covering because the generator only creates one ivy plant at a time. Later I merged the ivy models in some groups with poseray.

One thing I perhaps will change before animating the scene is the car. On one side I love the contrast between the polished new car paint and the old castle but I will give it at least a try to make the car old and rusty...

You see - still some things to play with but for the moment I am satisfied ( a little bit ;D )

archonforest

Nice! ;)
Man these droids are everywhere...hehe....actually I was waiting when u will drop in an alien or something...
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

DocCharly65

8)

"Aliens. Adventure. Excitement. A Jedi craves not these things. Patience you must have."

"What does he mean, Bones?"

"My god - I'm a doctor, Jim, not a translator!"

;)

I hope I find enough time between Christmas and New Year to clear some things with a next teaser - or make them even more complicated...  ;D

j meyer

Did you notice that the displacement/bump is rounding off some of the buildings
corners/edges?
Or is that done deliberately?

DocCharly65

Oh thanks Kadri :)

@ Jochen
yepp :)
It's one of the things for the last steps before animating. But not an important one. I will test some lower displacement settings and choose the one that looks best in my 1280x720 animation resolution.
Seems that it only mostly concerns 45° angles.

Cocateho

Great details! R2 might make a proper Brit yet, just have to work on the accent a bit  ::).

Agura Nata

"Live and Learn!"