Landscape time lapse test

Started by Kadri, December 22, 2016, 04:53:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kadri

It is just a test without small details. More then 700 frames.
I used PixelPlow kinda the first time. If you choose the low power option it is not expensive.
But still i didn't wanted to go higher then 900x450

It is a little different version of this scene:
http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,20419.msg204704.html#msg204704

I love time lapses. In the past there were more of them around. Come on guys and girls :)

https://vimeo.com/196786850

Dune

Cool test, like erosion. What are your plans with this, a new movie?

Hannes

That looks cool, Kadri. I did something like that before. It's always a surprise, when you see the animation the first time after you animated the terrain itself, right?

Kadri

Thanks guys.

Ulco this time is was just for fun. I wanted to see how the rock parts would move in time.
I won't do more with this. Just a test.

Yes Hannes. Like playing with clay but you don't know the outcome until you see it. It is fun.

DocCharly65

Wow! I have seen things like this in many documentaries... Nice to see that "one of us" could do this  :)

dorianvan

Nice animation. Was this all rendered in TG? That "dust" looks great in motion. You probably didn't do a cache, did you?
-Dorian

Kadri

100 frames HD version is here now (i slowed it down a little in Sony Vegas).
No other effects then a little color correction on this one. The other one had a motion trail effect for example.
This one does have only a little blur because of the slow down. But a little motion trail might look better i think.
It smooths the motion and looks a little like crumbling stones to sand i think.

Downloading the original one and loop playing it locally might be better.

Dorianvan, i wanted to render without GI but had a problem with PixelPlow(haven't searched, most probably my fault).
So i used very small GI numbers and a 5 frame interpolation. But there is basically no GI in the renders.
It was a fast crude 3 light setup. Would look better with a real GI approach most probably.

https://vimeo.com/196969237

dorianvan

Nice. I like how the ground raises up a bit in the background. Is it possible to isolate what "melts" and keep the rest the same?
-Dorian

Kadri

Quote from: dorianvan on December 24, 2016, 03:49:39 PM
Nice. I like how the ground raises up a bit in the background. Is it possible to isolate what "melts" and keep the rest the same?

Yes with masks you could do that.
The raising part was kind of an accident because of the time changing displacement
of the background mask (there was too much displacement).
There are parts that grow before they melt for example.
Would be good to micromanage it more in that way.
If it didn't take too much time to finalize such a scene in that kind of "best" way i would try more.

dorianvan

I think it looks great with the earth shift back there.
-Dorian

Kadri

Yes it didn't bother me at least as it could happen in the real world too :)

Dune

I think if you just use positive displacement (by color) you won't have the parts moving up. It would be interesting to see what happens if you animate a fractal warp, or perhaps better the percentage of impact a certain warp has.

Kadri

Quote from: Dune on December 25, 2016, 02:48:16 AM
I think if you just use positive displacement (by color) you won't have the parts moving up. It would be interesting to see what happens if you animate a fractal warp, or perhaps better the percentage of impact a certain warp has.

I tried to play with more then one parameter but it didn't look right.
Need more tests and might probably work Ulco.
So many options.