Multishader and Object shader limits

Started by rcallicotte, January 01, 2007, 08:18:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcallicotte

I ran into finding the 16 shader limits in the multishader for the Wavefront object I imported to be less than the 61 I needed.  Is there any way to have more than 16 per object? 

Another question about this - how does the multishader know which order to initially place these 16 shaders within the multishader?  Is there an easier way to set this order than individually addressing each shader?
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

hyper1

Calico,
You need to put the shaders one by one in most 3D programs unless they directly support the native format of the import.  For instance, Vue and Bryce directly utilize the Poser formats, however C4D, Lightwave, and possibly Maya require plugins to automate this process.  You have to understand that Terragen 2 is still in Beta.  The 16 slots for shaders in the Multishader is strictly a place holder until Planetside more fully addresses the entire import/export question.
Gary Poole
Quote from: calico on January 01, 2007, 08:18:39 AM
I ran into finding the 16 shader limits in the multishader for the Wavefront object I imported to be less than the 61 I needed.  Is there any way to have more than 16 per object? 

Another question about this - how does the multishader know which order to initially place these 16 shaders within the multishader?  Is there an easier way to set this order than individually addressing each shader?

Oshyan

Unfortunately the 16 shader limit is difficult or impossible to work around at present. You can split your object up in pieces to import it, but this makes it difficult to move around. It may be a workable temporary solution at least. We will be improving support for more complex objects and image mapping in the future.

I believe the multishader just takes the first 16 texture mappings in the .mtl file and uses those. But experiment with it and see if that's true. ;)

- Oshyan

cyphyr

Sorry for reviving a truly ancient thread but it seemed relevant. I know the Multi Shader is limited to sixteen inputs at the moment and maybe in the furtue more but for now is it possible to plug another multi shader in to the first input node, hence doubling the amount of available shaders. I suspect not but I ask just to confirm that the error is not down to me rather than the inbuilt limitations. Below is a screen shot of how I would expect it to work ... but it don't ! :( The model is a direct export from poser, everything loads in like a dream till you get past the 16 shader limit.
Thanks
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Oshyan

Quote from: cyphyr on September 09, 2007, 04:36:09 PM
Sorry for reviving a truly ancient thread but it seemed relevant. I know the Multi Shader is limited to sixteen inputs at the moment and maybe in the furtue more but for now is it possible to plug another multi shader in to the first input node, hence doubling the amount of available shaders. I suspect not but I ask just to confirm that the error is not down to me rather than the inbuilt limitations. Below is a screen shot of how I would expect it to work ... but it don't ! :( The model is a direct export from poser, everything loads in like a dream till you get past the 16 shader limit.
Thanks
Richard
No, that's not possible. If it were it would be a rather quick and simple solution. You might imagine we would have advised people of it earlier if it were that easy. ;)

- Oshyan

cyphyr

Hmm well I thought so but couldn't figure what that first node was for. Thanks anyway
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Harvey Birdman