TG4.+++ (square noise check up)

Started by TheBadger, December 27, 2016, 10:01:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBadger

Just wanted to check in about the square noise thing.

Now that the base TG4 is out and everything, was curious about some of the less foundational matters. I do recall that there was much interest in this subject, and also that it was a complex maths mater. So wanted to hear any updates on the topic, even theory stuff about the process would interest me.

Chears
It has been eaten.

Dune

Nothing new, really, nothing that hasn't been dealt with in other threads, no 'click and go' square noise, unfortunatley. It's all a matter of experimentation.

René

That's a pity. Is it at all possible? I mean is square noise applicable to a terrain? I know it's no problem with an object if you use the right projection i.e. cylindrical spherical etc.

mhaze

Yes Rene, it is possible.  But for me the real gem would be to simulate the way rocks flake away to give square shapes.  The square noise files are by Hetzen and Mogn and are somewhere on these forums.  Attached is basic set up.

Dune

The problem is that a rounded terrain can not really have square, straight rises, unless you use something like a strata shader. So with masking out a few different strata you can get quite far. There's the voronoi smooth (color and grey), and the 'normal' voronoi setup, as well as the square noise setups by Jon and mogn, indeed. Just mix the lot and experiment is what I have done so far. But square is only really square on X or Z angles, in between they're kind of triangular/sloped.
But René, you've come a long way with your squarish rocks!

TheBadger

in the big thread on the topic, there is a conversation between Matt and some other math minded person. There conversation was complex, but their tone was undoubtedly optimistic, even stating a path forward.
That was what was in my mind when I posted above.

I was going to post a quote but looking now I see the conversation was very in depth, so here is the link to the start of matt's post.
http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,9147.120.html

@René
If you never saw that thread, take a look from the begining to the end, people posted some very interesting files, and also showed some cool tests and such. I think Dune took it the furthest in some of his threads that came after, but those are not linked to the thread I posted. Basically he did some nice stuff with what we already have, but I am more of the mind as mhaze on the topic lol! Just make a button for it! ;D

Well TG is cool, but in all things I still wait for consumer level buttons ;D ;D Imagine trying to make fur in a big 3d app years back, HAHHAHHAH, now they have buttons for that... of course they make you pay though ;)
It has been eaten.

René

The vertically stretched noise is the culprit. If there was a way to apply it like in the picture the problem would be solved, wouldn't it?

mhaze

The real problem for me is that it is not possible to simulate the erosion of rocks by flaking away.  Taking away square noise from a rounded surface doesn't work very well. Any ideas?

René

I've done some tests to see if it's possible to project displacements like in the image in my previous post. I am trying to get rid of the ugly angle of the square noise you often see around the corners.  ;D

Dune

It almost looks like an eroded city with the squarish blocks. Nice to see you experimenting here, René!

René

Those mesas often do look like buildings, don't they. I will keep that eroded city idea in mind. ;)

mhaze

If you repeat the displacements in small increments reducing the scale a tiny amaountuntil you reach the displacement you want, it is possible to get rid of most of the hard edges. Otherwise blue nodes and bias and gain.

René

Square blocks on rounded shapes. Just some more tests.

bobbystahr

Quote from: René on May 14, 2017, 03:54:18 PM
Square blocks on rounded shapes. Just some more tests.

Woah...brilliant René
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

Cool! Would even be cooler if you could multiply these shapes with very a hard pf (or perlin 3D), so the squarish blocks would jut out of a crumbling rockwall. It's awfully hard to take repetitions out, I know. I also wish we'd have a slightly softer, or variable(!) smooth voronoi.