Flatten a bit of terrain

Started by Harvey Birdman, October 18, 2007, 11:28:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigben

For the distribution node to work before the Compute terrain node you need to pass it through the apporpiate calculation node: Compute normals for slope restrictions or Tex coords from XYZ for altitude restrictions (or Compute terrain if you're restricting by slope and altitude)

The Tex coords node doesn't add as much to the render time as a Compute terrain

Alfamike

Hello and thanks,

I both plugged a Compute terrain and a Tex from coords (1 by 1) between Fractal terrain-1 and the Distributor, but neither seemed to work. Is there anything else I have to do to the Distribution output to succesfully use it as a mask for the second fractal terrain1-1? Soldiering on.....

Cheers.

EDIT:

Plugging a distance shader into the blender of the Fractal terrain masks it ok, now for the distribution.....

bigben

Had a closer look. Swap the 2 fractals around.

Alfamike

Thanks,

I can see something happening now at the altitude cut-off.

I rotated the distribution shader preview and found out that its output is not a mask the way I was expecting. I expected a mask containing just boolean below (0) and above (1) information, but there is also height info still there, which I want to take out, so that the second fractal only generates terrain where I set it using the distribution.

AM.

Oshyan

You may need to reduce the "Fuzzy Zone" values and/or "Fuzzy zone softness". If you want strictly binary/black-and-white (no intermediate values), these should all be 0.

- Oshyan

bigben

Since it's only a fractal you could also use a colour adjust shader to create the mask which cuts it down to a single node. Just use identical values for the black and white levels to create a black or white mask.

As for the distribution shader... the default fuzzy zone is 200m. Set it to 0 if you want a sharp cutoff.

Alfamike

Thanks Oshyan and bigben, looking into this now.

AM.

OK. Looked out your suggestions. Fuzzy settings were all 0. Could not get the Colour adjust shader to do the trick.

I have attached a TGD where I have used a Negate colour function with some results. The only problem here is the up-step to the flattened area. Tried to remove this step with various colour functions to no avail. Keeping at it, has got to be possible to do this in a fairly simple manner.

Hope anyone's got some more suggestions.

Once this is sorted I'll post a link to this thread on the Terranuts site. Like the starter of the thread mentioned, more people would probably like to see this work.

Thanks in advance.

AM.