Starry, starry night, paint your palette blue and gray...

Started by KlausK, January 03, 2017, 11:52:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KlausK

First attempt to make a procedural night sky.
C+C welcome!

cheers, Klaus

ps: I think the blue star is a little to bright. Couldn`t figure out how to make it smaller yet. Crunching numbers back and forth...
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

Dune

Very nice. There are procedural nightskies about as well. One suggestion would be to mask by superlarge PF to get a little variation in density.

KlausK

Thanks, Dune.
This looks a little bit better, I think.
More variation in brightness and "clumping" but still too many overall, perhaps.
I`ll keep on plugging nodes...
cheers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

KlausK

Another render. That`s it for tonight.
cheers, Klaus

bobbystahr

Very nice man...I tend to use dandel0's Background sky setup which has many tweaking options, but this is just as nice. Well done and Keep On Tweaking
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

KlausK

Thank you both for your kind words!

I found some of the old files/presets now. Had to try on my own first.
OK, 2 more tweaks.
Cheers, Klaus

bobbystahr

something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

The last two are very good. I really like the larger stars. Are they 'dots' in the background as well or small planets?

KlausK

Thanks!  :)

The coloured dots are in fact each a simple "Light Source".
I thought this gave me more freedom in placing and colouring them as stars/galaxies/planets or whatever.
And when I had one light tweaked to my liking I could leave it alone and get on with the next one without altering the sky as a whole.
Placing the light closer or farther away together with very small numbers in the starburst and bloom settings it is "easy" to achieve
different magnitudes of brightness and glow. And they render very fast, too.
It would help immensely if we had bloom or starburst per object or light.

Next step is to find out how to make some sort of larger nebula or milky way in the skies as separate objects.
I always seem to have difficulties to insert another layer into the skies or terrain or whatever without messing the whole thing up...
Gotta read up upon the Nebulae thread by Hannes from 2014.

Anyways, if anyone is interested to take a look I will post a scene file later.

Cheers, Klaus

luvsmuzik

This is great! Interesting methods as well.
My first thought for star clusters would be a fake stone shader rotated 90 and then try to use a density shader with an image mask shader piped into it somehow. I suppose somewhere around here there is probably a procedural spiral twist method....
Particle systems and instances are fun but I haven't converted one to see if it would load as an object.....hmmmm

AP

KlausK

Right, there you go. I added a few notes you can find in the readme.txt to shorten the time to find the relevant settings for the scenery.
Any comments to the setup are welcome, of course!

Cheers, Klaus

ps:...oops, should I have posted this in the file sharing area?