particle star object

Started by luvsmuzik, January 04, 2017, 04:25:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luvsmuzik

Here is another way for star galaxy that I am trying.

Original method done in Blender with a particle system and force fields, run through a few animation frames, then render frame.
The original has four spheres various sizes for stars, hooked as particles to an icosphere, assigned to a path...la la la...

I ran into a road block as the main center of the galaxy with the most stars is not shown as I do not know how to block the emitter. I will work on this. It is all one object so I cannot uncheck visible to camera. I had to block opacity for the main cluster color to eliminate rendering the icosphere, bummer. I shall research how to make a mesh invisible.

Galaxy 115 Blender

ADE

cracking idea using particles

bobbystahr

Striking to say the least...Is the galaxy object textured with an image map? if so can you output HDR maps from blender? That might make this even more brilliant. Just a thought. Well done.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

luvsmuzik

Quote from: bobbystahr on January 05, 2017, 11:43:25 AM
Striking to say the least...Is the galaxy object textured with an image map? if so can you output HDR maps from blender? That might make this even more brilliant. Just a thought. Well done.

Thank you!
How I relate this to something done in TG is this:
TG has the populator, which I think of as a particle system or instances....in TG you regulate the number of objects and size of the field....
Blender uses a particle system attached to an emitter, which you can then populate the particles with an object or mixed group. If you do not want your emitter, ie, plane, sphere, cube (any mesh) to render, you simply chose not to render emitter. The subdivisions in your emitter mesh determine where the population goes, by vertex, face, or volume. You can mask the emitter, (vertex group), similar to how TG uses the painted shader.

Yes Blender renders HDR, I have 200 frames of a water animation done in Blender, but my CPU doesn't handle that stuff.

Basically here I used part of my galaxy object, (just a bunch of icospheres) and enhanced render with bloom and starburst. Stars are varied size and hue, so burst is developed accordingly.

bobbystahr

Quote from: luvsmuzik on January 05, 2017, 02:47:57 PM
Quote from: bobbystahr on January 05, 2017, 11:43:25 AM

Basically here I used part of my galaxy object, (just a bunch of icospheres) and enhanced render with bloom and starburst. Stars are varied size and hue, so burst is developed accordingly.

So you import an .obj from Blender, and the colours are procedural?  no image map involved?
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

luvsmuzik

Animation (set up includes force fields and collision objects) runs to generate icosphere populations. Stop animation after generation and apply particle modifier. That sticks the icospheres to a frozen position. Then select (box or circle) icospheres wanted for object and export. (Here is where I did not deselect the emitter) Colors are named on 4 icospheres, I used luminance as well on the shaders in TG. No image map. Sounds difficult, it isn't really. :) :) :)

I tested a rock population varied the size and added subdivision, this afternoon, basically doing the same thing, free floating and rotated 90. That population can also be masked with a density and image map alpha mask. Added some bloom and burst with higher settings. It worked almost as well. Gonna try vary color clip on that next. :)

Why I like using the objects is that they pick up the burst effect, where an image projection would not. Cause I already tried that, ha!

Like a diamond2 Blender render tribute to Leonard

Matt

Quote from: luvsmuzik on January 05, 2017, 05:58:38 PM
Why I like using the objects is that they pick up the burst effect, where an image projection would not. Cause I already tried that, ha!

It will if the image is bright enough :) There are various ways to brighten it, depending on which shaders you use.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

luvsmuzik

Or....fireworks at dusk, haha.

I was just experimenting here with vary color clip on luminosity and burst at different settings and density of rocks. A couple are plain rock populations, a couple rock populations are masked with an image.

Quote from: Matt on January 05, 2017, 07:04:30 PM
Quote from: luvsmuzik on January 05, 2017, 05:58:38 PM

It will if the image is bright enough :) There are various ways to brighten it, depending on which shaders you use.

Matt

I will attempt projecting an image with color next. I tried it as a background object but maybe I did not do it correctly to get the burst?

Dune

Very cool effect. The rocks can be very simple and lowpoly, that's a good thing. You could probably populate them on a wider invisible and massively displaced sphere, or did you?

luvsmuzik

Quote from: Dune on January 06, 2017, 02:43:20 AM
Very cool effect. The rocks can be very simple and lowpoly, that's a good thing. You could probably populate them on a wider invisible and massively displaced sphere, or did you?
This last series is TG Rock pop huge area field, but now you give me even more ideas!
Thanks!

luvsmuzik

Now to find the proper camera and location. I have to experiment with what I call "way out there" settings now. 

Pretty much have the arrangement figured out, now for the fun stuff.

Oshyan

As Matt said, it is all a matter of brightness. *Any* area of brightness in the scene will cause the bloom and starburst effects, whether an object, image map, light source, or specular reflection. It is not a matter of where or how you place the image map, only that it is literally "bright". It will probably need to be *luminous*, and potentially with a somewhat high value, greater then 1 in most cases.

- Oshyan

luvsmuzik

Being the dingbat that I am.....lost this TG file in the Blender file. I had set save output as tif, so search didn't find them, duh
Housecleaning today....voila...
Blender galaxy object
Nebula and stars: http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,2017.msg19724.html#msg19724
Starburst