Human flesh

Started by Hannes, January 06, 2017, 09:58:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannes

This is a try to improve the fleshy shader (without skin diseases) of my Materials thread and a try to improve my flesh SSS shader ( http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,19199.msg188567.html#msg188567 )as well.
I added a subtle PF bump map to get a little more detail, and this time I used a reflective shader with RT on. It looks more natural to me. Unfortunately there was a lot of flickering in the (soft) reflection, which seems to be a known bug, so I had to use a little frame blending in AE. It's no GI flickering, I used a GI cache.
The translucency is masked by a texture especially to make only parts of the ears glow and to prevent the nose from glowing. There is a simplified head inside the main head to block the light inside the head as well.
The hoodie is a free mesh from here: http://cgbakery.com/675/.
The ztl (ZBrush format) is incredibly detailed, and together with the texture it's a 2GB file! But it's worth it, and as TGO it's a lot smaller in file size.
For converting I downloaded the fully functional ZBrush demo. Cool stuff!

DocCharly65

Impressive! Looks convincing!

I should have had the same patience with my Vin Diesel before rendering.  ;)

KlausK

This looks reallyreally good!
cheers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

j meyer

8) Nice to see you continue with that.
The bump seems to be too much, at least to my eyes, but that might be due to the
fact that I'm familiar with the model.
Did you paint a new translucency map?
Another improvement would be a new specular map, as is it seems a bit too uniformly
shiny/glossy.
Keep it up man.

Hannes

The results of the german jury.  ;D ;D ;D
Thanks guys, I'll keep on experimenting!

Dune

And finally, here are the results from the Netherlands (cheer); good job, Hannes, 9 points. I agree that the bump might be a tiny tad less, but overall it's very convincing!

Hannes

I did some tests with lower bumpiness and masked specularity. Below you can see the comparison. On the left side is the original, on the right side the updated version. What do you think?
Somehow I like the left one better....

Dune

So do I. What kind of specular variables do you have, besides the mask?

Hannes

Actually I played with all parameters of the reflective shader except the reflection tint, until I was OK with the results, but in the end I prefer the evenly reflective version. The scene may be set in the desert, so it's hot, and the poor guy is sweating like hell in his hoodie.
...which makes me think of making the pimples (which are still in the scene but disabled) beads of sweat (is this the right word? I had to google translate it...)

j meyer

Yep, as being sweaty it works well.

So, did you try to paint a new spec map? If so, what was your approach
to deal with the offset of the grey values Matt pointed us to the other day?

Dune

Thanks, but what values? The 1.33 index for water (or should you use a grease index?) and the 0.2 for specular roughness?

Sweat; I use a blue node setup to get tiny circular drops on my people, displaced a little with a high reflection.

Hannes

Quote from: Dune on January 08, 2017, 03:35:41 AM
Thanks, but what values? The 1.33 index for water (or should you use a grease index?) and the 0.2 for specular roughness?

Sweat; I use a blue node setup to get tiny circular drops on my people, displaced a little with a high reflection.

I used these values. See attached image.
What kind of blue node setup do you use for the droplets?

Dune

Thanks. That's quite some softness, did you up the samples? No blocky renders?

Here's what I do for sweat (except exercise)  :P

Hannes

Thanks Ulco! I'll see, if I can replicate your sweaty setup, and yes,  it was blocky. That's why I had to blend the frames in AE.
Looking forward to an improved soft reflektiert.