Materials

Started by Hannes, January 11, 2017, 11:58:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fleetwood

Should have stuck with it. Was fashionable in some pretty high trumpet circles to play an unvarnished funky looking trumpet. Better tone, they said.

Winton Marsalis

bobbystahr

Quote from: fleetwood on February 25, 2017, 09:23:33 AM
Should have stuck with it. Was fashionable in some pretty high trumpet circles to play an unvarnished funky looking trumpet. Better tone, they said.

Winton Marsalis

Indeed, I believe Louis Armstrong also played a very plain unvarnished looking horn as well.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

bobbystahr

something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

archonforest

Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

yossam

Guess with tenor sax it doesn't matter................ :P

bobbystahr

Quote from: yossam on February 25, 2017, 03:01:49 PM
Guess with tenor sax it doesn't matter................ :P

I think y gotta be a master before you can play shining tunes on a dull horn...and maybe reedy stuff needs a little gloss to make it palatable, hee hee hee..A trumpet fan over sax myself.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

fleetwood

I really do think the varnish thing is a combination of fashion and economics. Tone is 99% in the human touch and skill IMO. A master can make a student grade instrument sound good and a student can make a master grade instrument sound awful.

Considering a new top notch sax can cost upwards of $10K (check prices of Yanagisawa saxes) it's not surprising someone might stick with an older great sounding one with no finish left.

bobbystahr

Quote from: fleetwood on February 27, 2017, 08:40:44 PM
I really do think the varnish thing is a combination of fashion and economics. Tone is 99% in the human touch and skill IMO. A master can make a student grade instrument sound good and a student can make a master grade instrument sound awful.

Considering a new top notch sax can cost upwards of $10K (check prices of Yanagisawa saxes) it's not surprising someone might stick with an older great sounding one with no finish left.

I agree re:"A master can make a student grade instrument sound good and a student can make a master grade instrument sound awful."

and the price of a very nice hand built 3/4 size classical even by a local good but non famous builder(I was gifted one by a builder friend) start around 2000 dollars; the replacement price for insurance purposes was stated at $2600.00....but I got my lovely sounding beat to shit 1958 0017 all mahogany Martin guitar for $600.00 in a used instrument store, but have to insure it at $4000.00 replacement. It's a sliding scale involving luck I've found.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

luvsmuzik

A couple variations in brass oxide clip

imported a strata terrain, applied brass oxide with no reflection...image 123
TG terrain with base color red and no reflection...image red oxide

Such a great share everyone!

Parker

Beautiful; many thanks both!

WAS

Gran Perla Granite Material v0.1 by WASasquatch
This surface shader is designed to match the the look and feel of Gran Perla granite. A type of granite primarily made up of Quartz, Feldspar, Horneblende, and Biolite, with a small percentage of Mica.

This has been designed at relatively real-world scales, and is best viewed somewhat close or it will begin diffusing and looking like normal stone, as granite does.

The only downside to this is reflections from Mic will be few and far between as I am not able to figure out how to get the reflection I want. I spent hours at it, maybe someone else can help.

Oshyan

Excellent surface replication! Looks just like granite.

- Oshyan

bobbystahr

Thanks that certainly is granite....well made.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

luvsmuzik

Quote from: WASasquatch on March 23, 2018, 04:10:17 PM
Gran Perla Granite Material v0.1 by WASasquatch
This surface shader is designed to match the the look and feel of Gran Perla granite. A type of granite primarily made up of Quartz, Feldspar, Horneblende, and Biolite, with a small percentage of Mica.

This has been designed at relatively real-world scales, and is best viewed somewhat close or it will begin diffusing and looking like normal stone, as granite does.

The only downside to this is reflections from Mic will be few and far between as I am not able to figure out how to get the reflection I want. I spent hours at it, maybe someone else can help.

I have been playing with this a little. Instead of one general reflective shader, I took a few of your color merges one step further, adding another merge shader and mixing with a glass shader with a reflection tint. I went light gold / even coppery or yellowish and had some highlights. I will try to post later, time crunch today. At any rate I have a new texture based on yours!

Oshyan

Probably not much reason to use a full Glass Shader here, the transparency won't be seen even in close-ups (and is not entirely appropriate for mica anyway), and all you need is reflectivity. That can be had in the Default Shader or a Reflective Shader, without the render time cost of the Glass Shader. But good ideas and tinkering, looking forward to seeing what you came up with!

- Oshyan