Controlling Power fractal height on specified location

Started by Safandjaro, September 10, 2007, 12:09:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Safandjaro

Because my height field has a limited horizon, I would like to create another layer of infinite mountains and composit this behind the images rendered with the heigth field. But because My camera is just above water level it disappears underneath the surface of the power fractal. Is it possible to create a "flat" area inside the power fractal landscape where I can place my camera?

Harvey Birdman

Create a mask and attach it to the 'Blending Shader' input of the fractal node.

There a several ways of creating masks. You can use a black and white image and an image map shader, or you can do it procedurally. (There are probably a zillion ways I don't know of, too.) Take a look at the Pie Filter thread in the File Sharing area. It could be used for exactly this purpose. Set the center to the center of your heightfield and set the radii appropriately. It won't be a perfect fit because the heightfield is rectangular and this will produce a circular mask, but it might work well enough for your purposes.

FrankB

If you have the standard load/generate heightfield setup, you can plug a power fractal into the input port of the heightfield shader. This way, the heightfield area will not be impacted by the power fractal. In other words, the displacements of the power fractal only "live" outside of the heightfield boundaries (minus the border blending zone).

Cheers,
Frank

Safandjaro

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm going to try it, keep you informed of the results