Selecting scene items

Started by KlausK, January 22, 2017, 06:43:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KlausK

Hi

There are some questions I`d like to ask about selecting objects in a scene:

• the only way to select an item in the scene is via the right click mouse button over the 3D preview window.
    Is that correct?
  • if so:
  • would it be possible to make the Explorer window (top left in standard layout) a floating view
    and have items selected there be selected in the 3D preview as well (double click or right click, perhaps)?
    One can find that kind of functionality in any kind of app.
  • Are multiple selections in the 3D viewport possible at present state?
    I have not found a way to move multiple objects (like a group of imported characters) at the same time.
    Right now I would select one object after the other and translate it one by one.
  • Being able to do multiple selections would lead to grouping of objects, I guess.
This would be something I`d use the SDK for if we could call those functions via scripting / programming.

Thanks for any hints. Cheers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

Dune

Yes, the only way, and that second point would be handy indeed, or that also the node in the node view would be selected. Multiple selections are not possible, and I can understand why; you'd need some sort of grouped handles, and I don't think that would work very good/handy.

KlausK

Multiple selections, grouping objects and translating multiple selections is something I am used to from other 3D applications.
That is why I am asking for this. But anyways, there would be one "group" handle for the group which is calculated from
the average bounding box of all selected objects for instance. If it was possible to put different objects in a population I would use that.
Cheers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

Oshyan

To select objects in the 3D preview you can either left-click on an object's visible "handle" (origin/anchor point), or right-click and select from a list. In cases where there are lots of very close together or overlapping "handles", the right-click option is best.

There has been discussion of syncing selections in the node list/node network and in the 3D preview. I do think it's a good idea, but Matt and Jo have been uncertain. It's something we'll continue discussing and hopefully implement at some point as I do think it would be helpful.

Object grouping and multi-object populations are something we definitely plan to add in the future.

- Oshyan

KlausK

Thank you, Oshyan. Good to hear. I for one am looking forward to this.

I know some of the functions I am asking for / suggesting come from being used to a certain workflow I established in other applications.
And because computers get faster, cheaper and more common to have for more people I am quite sure that users will enjoy that kind of functionality.
Old scenes might render faster than in earlier versions but I bet everyone uses more scene items in their projects and renders much more elaborated
landscapes in the same time needed as in tg3 or even older versions. That`s what it is all about, isn`t?

In the end the more options to select, group, translate, view or whatever one needs to do with scene items the better.
My2cents. Cheers, Klaus

KlausK

Damn, that`s a long time ago. Hopefully with the new maintenance model things move a little faster  ::)
Cheers, Klaus

Kadri

There are some posts from 2009 or earlier too i think... :)

KlausK

Oh my...hehe. We`ll have to wait and see.

Dune

I think the hard part would be that if you group a group of objects and move/rotate them over wobbly terrain, you end up with floating stuff. My 2 cents. Unless all can be grounded automatically again (if that's what you want anyway).

N-drju

Quote from: Dune on January 24, 2017, 02:50:12 AM
I think the hard part would be that if you group a group of objects and move/rotate them over wobbly terrain, you end up with floating stuff. My 2 cents. Unless all can be grounded automatically again (if that's what you want anyway).

On the other hand, even if you move a population around you can put everything back in place simply by repopulating. Wondering though, how it would work with multiple, grouped objects...? An option to create populations and groups (see what I mean? :) ) would be handy.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"