Evermore

Started by Volker Harun, September 11, 2007, 03:20:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Volker Harun

At last an image that I am satisfied with ... critiques welcome, though!

Based on the impressions I have when listening to 'The Battle of Evermore' by Led Zeppelin.
This image does not show the battle (which might be a coproduction with some special artist (You know who you are!)) ,-)

As soon as I have my 32 core Pentium VIII I will do an animation. ;)

mr-miley

Volker

Outstanding render. I am a big fan of "empty" landscapes anyway and this is just outstanding. It looks very natural and I love the lighting. I can't realy find anything to criticise at all. When you get your Pentium VIIIIIIIII, could you do a 2560x1024 version and I'll use it as my desktop wallpaper  ;D
I love the smell of caffine in the morning

Will

great job mate! the clouds look a little weird to me (kind put a finger on it though) but overall its amazing.
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

FrankB

Volker, I think the ground is really great, but not so the upper clouds. There's something looking wrong about them. It's the warping (a bit overdone), but also the density and colouring.

Cheers,
Frank

cyphyr

This really is great, the ground settings are pretty perfect and the very slight offset separates the vegetation layer from the rock nicely. Is that the same as the "Embossed Snow" technique? Clouds could be a little sparser, less warped buts thats just a personal view. Good job
Richard

ps. How long did the render take and what settings did you use (render, AA, GI and cloud/atmosphere detail)?
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Volker Harun

Hi Richard et al.

The render setings were 13 hours, quality 0.8, AA 3, GI 1|1 - atmospheres had 75 samples, clouds ~150, fog ~100 samples.

I agree with the warp - though it is a ridged fractal that blends the clouds' density fractal. I wanted to get a bit more definition and overtuned ,-)

The ground was made with the new 'intersect underlying' feature. A took a while to get the appropiate settings (You should try to set the distribution to terrain-normal).

Thanks for your input,
Volker

rcallicotte

Nice. Nice. Nice.  Clouds are fantastic.  Ground terrain is cool looking, even though it is an otherwise boring view - but, it's not boring!  You've been able to show interest with your texturing even at this altitude.  Good job.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

dhavalmistry

man would you stop making these....dont make me come up there and bust your computer.....:D:D:D

I love it man....not sure about the clouds tho....and I think it would be better if there was no fog....

absolutely outstanding groundwork.....

I am gonna have to start getting tutors from you....what are the class timings and fee again???....:):)
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

Seth

love the fog on the ground ! the ground is really cool ! you rock dude !

old_blaggard

This does look quite good.  As Frank said, the upper clouds look odd, but they kind of give a slight unreal and fantasty-like touch to the image, which I think fits with a scene about the location of the Battle of Evermore.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

efflux

Excellent as I've already said over at Renderosity.

I suppose if you were aiming at super realism then the criticisms about the clouds are justified but volumetric clouds are so difficult to tweak just right because of long render times even while testing. The sparse nature of the clouds is well done. I have not tried blending clouds yet. Perhaps the clouds could have been a touch softer.

Saurav

My thoughts on the render is similar to others here. My only criticism is the clouds, it looks good at distance but the closer ones somehow don't look right to me. The intersect underlying is very well executed and so is the choice of surfaces/colours.