Fake Stones City.tgd

Started by dandelO, April 06, 2011, 08:29:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dandelO

Here's the .tgd from this thread.

Cheers! :)

pfrancke

thank you for this - very excellent.  I'm playing with it now and will post results.  I've learned tons just looking at it, damn, I wish I knew how to work it like you do!!!!!   Thank you!!

Piet

RAF Blackace

DandelO. I have to ask you this because it is doing my head in.

In your files you use the 100m2 terrain, everything of yours I open the terrain is never limited to 100m2 and it covers the whole planet. I change nothing, its every file of yours I've ever opened, seen the same problem. I usually edit it to fix it but would like to know why it happens in the first place.

Any idea why ???

dandelO

Hi, RAF Blackace.

I have this setting in every file I make due to some good advice from Volker Harun, read on...
Volker opened my eyes to the great idea of having a heightfield to signify a size in the 3D preview window that is easily recognisable on every opening of a scene...

I never(that is rarely) move my default camera position in Terragen.
This means I'll consistently have a static camera that will be in this position(so I can see new object imports, etc to the TG world,), that I will build my entire scene around. I always fit my scene to my camera, instead of the other way around.

Plus I always can control the sun(etc) easily from a Northern looking POV. You know, so the camera is consistently looking forwards but scene elements will change in accordance to this.

I completely understand that people aren't as methodical with TG2 as I am, I just like things in proper order.
So, Generally, the '100m2 heightfield' can be deleted from ALL of my shared files here. It serves no purpose, other than to relate to me what size my scene is.

Generally, the 100m2 terrain heightfield is ONLY a bounding box that signifies size to me in my 3D preview, nothing more. Sorry if this has confused anyone.

RAF Blackace

It must be more fundamental than that, I also get a rake of errors and warnings when I load your files, non that seem too critical and all seem to be related to specular details. But not worried as you teach me how to actually use the software and these issues are just me wondering why.

I'm still learning this software and follow you and the other contributors as much as I can, slowly but surely I'm getting there and enjoying the learning curve immensely. Thanks for posting these files, you have helped me and probably many other's.

I appreciate it mate, I really do  ;D

I just clicked on some of the links on your website which I bookmarked long ago. My jaw just dropped to see links to downloads of stuff I have been looking for. Sheesh. Thanks again.

Dune

QuoteGenerally, the 100m2 terrain heightfield is ONLY a bounding box that signifies size to me in my 3D preview, nothing more
Interesting that you do this as well, Martin. I now use a simple shape, which I can move around for a sense of scale.

dandelO

Quote from: RAF Blackace on April 08, 2011, 07:03:50 PM
I also get a rake of errors and warnings when I load your files, non that seem too critical and all seem to be related to specular details.

I can only imagine that you might not be using the most up to date version of TG. If the errors are mainly related to specular settings, are you using an older version when there was no specular tab in a default shader, maybe?

RAF Blackace

No I wasn't, but my computer was. My desktop shortcut was still pointing to an old version (I don't like to overwrite on updates)....Dhoo !!

bobbystahr

Here's the .tgd from this thread.

Cheers! :)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 08:12:24 AM by dandelO »

Any chance of a repost of this .tgd? I seem to have missed a lesson here.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

edlo

Interesting approach, Any chance of getting the file back online?