Out of Curiousity....

Started by bobbystahr, February 02, 2017, 12:06:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

...I pressed the exclamation point before the site address and this popped up...are we vulnerable here?
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

N-drju

You and your browser apparently. :P ;)
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

bobbystahr

Quote from: N-drju on February 02, 2017, 02:31:54 AM
You and your browser apparently. :P ;)

Well it says the site is insecure....does that mean it has an emotional problem? hee hee hee
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

N-drju

You know, with the dawn of AI... ;)

I made that comment mostly because I could not recognize what browser you are using. Looks quite alien to me. But I actually did reproduce that exclamation mark in Mozilla Firefox later.

I think it's just that guys at Planetside did not provide proper authentication for the site so browser considers this site as something ominous and unknown... Probably this is the trouble, not that someone is live-streaming you. None of us stores any personal info on that page anyway... or so I think. ::)
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

bobbystahr

Quote from: N-drju on February 02, 2017, 12:31:37 PM

I made that comment mostly because I could not recognize what browser you are using. Looks quite alien to me. But I actually did reproduce that exclamation mark in Mozilla Firefox later.

I think it's just that guys at Planetside did not provide proper authentication for the site so browser considers this site as something ominous and unknown... Probably this is the trouble, not that someone is live-streaming you. None of us stores any personal info on that page anyway... or so I think. ::)

Thanks for checking, I'm on Google Chrome and wondered if it was just my browser...what AV do you use btw?
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

penboack

Quote from: N-drju on February 02, 2017, 12:31:37 PM

You get it on the planetside account pages as well when you are logged in and they do have personal info.

I just tried this on www.sidefx.com and thefoundry.co.uk.
According to Chrome the Foundry website is secure, Side Effect website was not.

Oshyan

Secure connections (encrypted, HTTPS) are generally only used and necessary when things like credit cards or social security info are being transmitted and stored. We do neither here, nor do we require anything else that is personally identifiable beyond a name and email address (and even then you can use a fake name if you want to). The forums are also public, so anything you post here is already visible to, well, everyone. In short, there's no need for major security (HTTPS).

- Oshyan

bobbystahr

Quote from: Oshyan on February 04, 2017, 07:35:46 PM
Secure connections (encrypted, HTTPS) are generally only used and necessary when things like credit cards or social security info are being transmitted and stored. We do neither here, nor do we require anything else that is personally identifiable beyond a name and email address (and even then you can use a fake name if you want to). The forums are also public, so anything you post here is already visible to, well, everyone. In short, there's no need for major security (HTTPS).

- Oshyan

Thanks Oshyan
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New