Train obj found

Started by archonforest, February 10, 2017, 07:15:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

archonforest

I manage to locate and download a train object that is very close for that model I am looking for. There is one part shader that covers more parts of the train that it suppose to be. So the question is this. Which program I need in order to re-assign the part shaders? Preferably a free version:)
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Dune

Perhaps Poseray can do the trick? Blender? But I can also have a look if you want, in Lightwave.

archonforest

Quote from: Dune on February 10, 2017, 07:41:08 AM
Perhaps Poseray can do the trick? Blender? But I can also have a look if you want, in Lightwave.

Ohhh....that would be awesome!!! :D :D :D :D :D Thank you.

There is a shader called Mat123456712 that covers 80 percent of the body plus the glass. Like this is pretty useless. At least the glass and the bottom part of the train should be on a different shader than the main body.

archonforest

I try to get something like this. These are the main parts that should be on a separate shader. About...

Dune

I'll see what I can do tomorrow. But perhaps someone even beats me to it, now that you've posted  ;)

luvsmuzik

My pa was a yardmaster on a rail system for over 40 years, freight mostly, cannot wait to see what you do with this!

I am also curious and ignorant as to...if one packs a uv image in a model such as this, is it ever possible to export the whole work up for the map as well, so the shaders can be individual as they were before the map is ceated? I know you can open the uv map in image editor in Blender, but that is about as far as I got.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on February 10, 2017, 11:53:03 AM
I'll see what I can do tomorrow. But perhaps someone even beats me to it, now that you've posted  ;)

Well in PoseRay the windows, vents and doors are still one part..and there's about a million parts. For me this would be a non starter as it's all un named cubes, cap, and extrusion names with numbers. That's from the .3ds one.
The .obj on the other hand when you convert the part shaders converts the windows and doors as a separate part/object so maybe Ulco could break those up for you...your ball Ulco...
Here's as far as I got, did some renaming
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

j meyer

Had a quick inspection of both (obj +3ds) in Poseray and then Wings3d and
unfortunately there are not only many groups and materials, but there are many
parts like windows,doors and more that are misaligned. You can see through the
train actually. So there is lots of work to be done. It's hours rather than minutes.
Not impossible, though.
What do you say Attila?

bobbystahr

Quote from: j meyer on February 10, 2017, 12:44:55 PM
Had a quick inspection of both (obj +3ds) in Poseray and then Wings3d and
unfortunately there are not only many groups and materials, but there are many
parts like windows,doors and more that are misaligned. You can see through the
train actually. So there is lots of work to be done. It's hours rather than minutes.
Not impossible, though.
What do you say Attila?
I tried the .obj and it's fairly sane. The body and trucks need splitting as do a numbe of others but way more sane than the .3ds. Did some renaming and posted it below in my reply to archonforest
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

j meyer

QuoteI tried the .obj and it's fairly sane. The body and trucks need splitting as do a numbe of others but way more sane than the .3ds. Did some renaming and posted it below in my reply to archonforest

It might seem to you that it's more sane, but it is not. The only difference is that the groups
are combined when you open it in P-ray. That's all.
Misaligned parts are the main problem here.

Edit: forgot to say that the model is far away from the 0/0/0 point too.

bobbystahr

Quote from: j meyer on February 10, 2017, 01:10:02 PM
QuoteI tried the .obj and it's fairly sane. The body and trucks need splitting as do a numbe of others but way more sane than the .3ds. Did some renaming and posted it below in my reply to archonforest

It might seem to you that it's more sane, but it is not. The only difference is that the groups
are combined when you open it in P-ray. That's all.
Misaligned parts are the main problem here.

Edit: forgot to say that the model is far away from the 0/0/0 point too.

Yeah Jochen, I realize that, never went beyond PoseRay with it as I don't really need it...or the frustration of converting it. Sorry Atilla...we're trying...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

archonforest

Tku guys for trying. Of crs I do not want u guys on this for hours if its that bad.

Lets see if Dune can make something in Lightwave.....hope yes

KlausK

hey, maybe it`s my old eyes but I don`t see those misalignments in the renders you (j meyer) are talking about  :o
Loaded the obj model into XSI and rendered with a spherical environment.
cheers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

luvsmuzik

Just got a chance to look at this in Blender....3ds format...The front windshield is the steklo and material 123456712....still checking for ya

well, shoot, materail 123456712 seems to be a basic, but if you can edit by groups it is the steklo mesh
Edit: If no one beats me to it, I found some clues, Mat 1234 is the side windows glass. Will see what I come up with.

Edit...I am this far in 20 minutes Forgot to download the example colors...ha

Sorry, this is way over my head. I cant get to the wheel assemblies. They are very complex vertices and I have not found the independent material for them.

Dune

I happened to have the fbx as well, and the obj and the 3ds, never touched it. See what I can make of it. If it's all one color, like the wheelcarriage section, can they be put together logically? All black and dirty anyway. I'd rather not spend all day on it. I'll try to redistribute to match the sample you posted.